Thursday, July 27, 2017

Spiritual Understanding Depends Upon Obedience Which Depends Upon Faith Which Depends Upon You



If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine… —John 7:17

{CHAMBERS}  “The golden rule to follow to obtain spiritual understanding is not one of intellectual pursuit, but one of obedience. If a person wants scientific knowledge, then intellectual curiosity must be his guide. But if he desires knowledge and insight into the teachings of Jesus Christ, he can only obtain it through obedience. If spiritual things seem dark and hidden to me, then I can be sure that there is a point of disobedience somewhere in my life. […] The Spirit of God uncovers our spirit of self-vindication and makes us sensitive to things that we have never even thought of before.  When Jesus drives something home to you through His Word, don’t try to evade it. If you do, you will become a religious impostor. Examine the things you tend simply to shrug your shoulders about, and where you have refused to be obedient, and you will know why you are not growing spiritually.”

{ELGIN}  I was on a mission yesterday morning.  I had to get tags for my wife’s car.  We decided that we would get a Desert Storm veteran’s tag, her idea actually.  I had a Vietnam tag on my vehicle already.  A reminder of other chapters in my life, days gone by.  When I walked into the Veteran’s office to get the affidavit to verify to the tag clerk that I was indeed in the Gulf War, I saw a friend, Bob, whom I had not seen for over 10 years.  We chatted for a few minutes and then he was called to get his paperwork.  As he was leaving, I told him, “Bob, there are no coincidences, God had us meet for a reason.”  Time will tell what exactly that reason was.  So I was called to the office director’s office.  I noticed a plaque on his wall that spoke of prayer.  He asked me “So you know Bob?”  That was the opening to a 40 minute conversation about God’s calling, our obedience to the call, spiritual problems in our country, and the commonality of how God was working in each of our lives and the message He had given each of us, the director and me, that is.  Now, this entire episode occurred, on the surface, because I needed to get a Gulf War license plate.  But that was not really the purpose.  I could sense the prompting of the Spirit as I talked with my new found friend and co-laborer.

So what does this have to do with obtaining spiritual understanding.  If your heart is not right before God.  If you are not willing to obey when God prompts you to act, you will miss what God has for you.  Don’t live your life in spiritual isolation.  Living in a way where you are totally obsessed with you and what pleases you, letting fear and not faith control you as you live out your new life in Christ.  Your life is not your own.  God has so much more for you than living  life of sin management.  Don’t be like the one who buried his talent in the ground which yielded nothing, but be like the one who lived by faith and saw a “spiritual” increase as a result of his faithfulness and obedience. (Matthew 25:14-30) Life is full of wonderful, spiritual opportunities … but you will miss them if you choose not to look for them

No comments: