Friday, February 10, 2017

Is God Your Primary Focus Or In Your Peripheral Vision

My Utmost For His Highest

Lift up your eyes on high, and see who has created these things… —Isaiah 40:26

{CHAMBERS} “The people of God in Isaiah’s time had blinded their minds’ ability to see God by looking on the face of idols. But Isaiah made them look up at the heavens; that is, he made them begin to use their power to think and to visualize correctly. […] The real test of spiritual focus is being able to bring your mind and thoughts under control. Is your mind focused on the face of an idol? Is the idol yourself? Is it your work? […] If so, then your ability to see God is blinded. You will be powerless when faced with difficulties and will be forced to endure in darkness.”

{ELGIN}  As I am sitting in front of my computer this morning.  I can see the words appearing as I think them and type them.  But there other things that I see.  Things on the periphery of my vision, not sharply in focus but still I am aware of their presence.  It is not until I turn my eyes and probably my head to focus on them do they become clear to me, but then, my computer moves to my periphery.  That is the way it is with our spiritual life, our focus on God.  Some believe that we can focus on two things at once.  The world and God.  But the Word says otherwise.  The God that created us, and knows our inner being, says “"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” (Matthew 6:24)  One of them will be the center of your focus and the other will not.  The problem is that if we are focused on something other than God, then we will try to convince ourselves that God is still in focus.  Having God in our peripheral vision is not good enough.  We are deceiving ourselves.  Loving God with our heart, mind, should, and strength means that He is to be our primary focus … all of the time.  And when He is, everything will become clear.

No comments: