Thursday, March 17, 2016

5 Simple Ways To Bring Glory To God

My Utmost For His Highest

We make it our aim…to be well pleasing to Him. —2 Corinthians 5:9

““We make it our aim….” It requires a conscious decision and effort to keep our primary goal constantly in front of us. It means holding ourselves to the highest priority year in and year out; not making our first priority to win souls, or to establish churches, or to have revivals, but seeking only “to be well pleasing to Him.” It is not a lack of spiritual experience that leads to failure, but a lack of working to keep our eyes focused and on the right goal. At least once a week examine yourself before God to see if your life is measuring up to the standard He has for you. Paul was like a musician who gives no thought to audience approval, if he can only catch a look of approval from his Conductor.[…] My worth to God publicly is measured by what I really am in my private life. Is my primary goal in life to please Him and to be acceptable to Him, or is it something less, no matter how lofty it may sound?” CHAMBERS

Living the Christian life is challenging.  But you know that already don’t you?  If we are to walk and live like the Word tells us, the walking and living requires thought .. determination. We have to be doers and not just hearers (James 1:22).  Deliberate.  It is so easy to not do and just listen.  It requires an awareness and encouragement.  You must associate with other Christians.  I remember a story about someone talking to Chuck Colson about the fact that he didn’t need anyone else.  Chuck walked up the  fireplace, took an ember out with tongs and stared ate the ember until it stopped glowing.  Then he said “that is what it’s like when a Christian goes it alone.”  You need to be around other Christians. (Hebrews 10:25) “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”  The Navigator ministry uses what is known as the “Wheel” to teach this point.  The hub of the wheel is Christ (at the center).  There are 4 spokes.  The two vertical spokes are prayer and meditation.  The two horizontal spokes are witnessing and the Word.  The wheel, itself, the result of practicing those five things, is an obedient Christian life.  Isn’t that what you want for you?  The quality and effectiveness of our new lives in Christ doesn’t just happen.  True, God gives us the capacity to live a spiritual existence, but it’s up to us as to what that will look like.  You must practice those five things.  Keep Christ at the center, read the Word, share your faith, meditate on spiritual truth, and pray.
 
The fact that you are reading this says you have spiritual interest.  I want to encourage you to live beyond merely being a hearer and be a doer of the Word.  Fulfill your purpose in Christ.  To and for the glory of God.  ELGIN
 
“I Will Offer Up My Life”  Matt Redman
 
I will offer up my life in spirit and truth , Pouring out the oil of love as my worship to You
In surrender I must give my ev’ry part, Lord, receive the sacrifice of a broken heart
 
You deserve my ev’ry breath, For You’ve paid the great cost
Giving up Your life to death, Even death on a cross
 
You took all my shame away, There defeated my sin
Opened up the gates of heav’n,  And have beckoned me in
 
Jesus, what can I give, what can I bring, To so faithful a Friend to so loving a King
Savior, what can be said, what can be sung , As a praise of Your name for the things You have done
Oh, my words could not tell not even in part, Of the debt of love that is owed by this thankful heart
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: