Tuesday, November 7, 2023

When Jesus Knocks

"He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them, Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." - Luke 4:17-21

So who are the blind? The ones who do not see who Jesus is. He healed the blind physically as a testimony to who He was and is - spiritually. Physically as something that people could see and marvel at. No one could do what He did. And none of us can heal someone spiritually.  It is only by faith in Jesus. He had to come to earth to die on the cross only to be raised so that we could receive our sight. It is a simple fact and yet a profound truth that is unseen by the blind who are blinded by their sin. 

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." - Revelation 3:20

To receive our sight, we first must hear His voice. But not all will recognize his voice. Oh, how I wish I understood how this all works. I don't, but I am a living testimony to its truth. Some not all will open the door to their hearts by faith when Jesus knocks.

"So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand." - John 10:24-28

It is not that Jesus had not told them; it is that they refused to believe. Like myself, I am certain you know people, perhaps family that refuse to believe. God knows from the beginning to the end. He has given us free will. He knows who will and who won't yield their hearts in faith when the Spirit speaks to their heart. Put in another way, not everyone will open the door.  Most will choose to leave the door shut. They will turn Jesus away.  

Surely you know all of this already. You, yourself, heard Jesus and opened the door.  Our charge is to tell others that Jesus is knocking.  We are not the Holy Spirit, certainly.  We are merely God's ambassadors. Sharing the good news. That is our part. Salvation is between the hearer and the Lord.  

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: