Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Our Days Are Numbered

"O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!  Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Surely for nothing they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather! And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you." - Psalm 39:4-7

During this last month two friends, Christian men, who lived for God and epitomized what being a godly father and husband look like died in mid-life. Or as some people would say, "Before their time".  It is estimated that over 166,000 people die every day on this planet. So, what exactly is our time? When will it be that we breathe our last? According to the Psalmist - 

"The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away." - Psalm 90:10

And yet - we know that is not a guarantee. In fact, only God knows the span of our life. 

"Your [referring to God] eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them." - Psalm 139:16

God knows from beginning to end. So, does He ordain the days we will live or is it that He knows the days we will live. I think the latter. How many days we live is not the point. How we live out those days is the point. Upon hearing of the passing of my friends I was, once again, reminded that I must redeem the time I have been given. We all must invest our lives to the fullest in those things that have eternal value, that matter.  Those things that matter to God that may or may not matter to men.

"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is." - Ephesians 5:15-17

Every day live your life to the fullest - to the glory of God and the good of others.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: