Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Running On Empty

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:8-9

I was born again in 1976. After I took my first "spiritual" breath, I had in insatiable hunger for the Word of God. I could not get enough of it. My focus was on my new life and the wonder of it all. But over time, other things called for my attention.  Started to demand my attention. Worldly things. We can't ignore some worldly things, but we can put them in proper perspective. Find balance. For many people, though, their attention pendulum often swings from far left to far right. There is no middle ground, not for long anyway. 

My wife and I often travel a good bit by car/truck. I make it a practice to not let the fuel go below half a tank. Not that I am afraid of running out of gas. That allows me to seek the best fuel prices and be prepared for unplanned delays in traffic. It's a thing!  Spiritually speaking, it is important that we don't go below half a tank. That we keep plenty of "oil in our lamp" to keep it burning. (Old song)

If you are not careful. If you are not keeping your eye on the fuel gauge you will run out of spiritual gas and may not even realize it until the engine stalls. One of our daughters has an electric car.  I was texting her while I wrote this. (Yes, I can multi-task!)  She was at a charging station.  As Christians, we need to spend time at our spiritual "Charging Station". The prosperity and success spoken of in Joshua by the Lord is about spiritual success and prosperity, not worldly. Our fuel is the Word of God, prayer and fellowship. If you don't get enough spiritual nourishment, you will eventually starve. Your life will become indistinguishable from the lost who live around you. And like the frog in the pot, you will not be aware that it is happening until you step on the spiritual pedal and the tank is empty. 

So - is it time to refuel?

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: