Tuesday, November 21, 2023

The Cost Of Success

"For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?" -  Luke 9:25

How do you define success in this life? What must you trade off or have you traded off to gain that success? Success in anything will always cost you something.  In terms of worldly success, sometimes it's about recognition or affirmation. Sometimes it's about financial gain. Some believe that the one who dies with the most toys wins (or not). With respect to our faith, it's about being more like Jesus and less like the world.

Is it wrong to be successful in the world and in your faith walk at the same time? No. But that may not be as common as you might hope. There is a tension between the natural and the spiritual. It can be like a tug of war - each vying for your heart's devotion. The Bible cautions us about the temptation.

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world." - 1 John 2:15-16

Why do suppose we are given that caution? Because it is a common pitfall. The temptation to sacrifice what is more important for the things of this world can be strong and even seem reasonable at the time. But like most poor decisions, we don't realize the pain of sacrificing the best until after the fact. Then it is hard to recover what was lost, if not impossible. 

God will certainly forgive us of our sins but will most probably not relieve us of the consequences. There is a song that comes to mind, "Knowing You, Jesus, by Graham Kendrick." 

All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres and wants to own
All I once thought gain, I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You
There is no greater thing
You're my all, You're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love You, Lord

Now my heart's desire is to know You more
To be found in You and known as Yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All-surpassing gift of righteousness

It might not be a bad thought to pray through the words of that song. Don't be like the man building bigger barns.

"And he [Jesus] said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God." - Luke 12:15-21

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: