Wednesday, December 15, 2021

What To Say When You Are Asked

 always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.”  – 1 Peter 3:15

Talking to “Sally” the other day, she told me that she had told her friend, “Karen” about me. When Sally described me to Karen the first thing she said was, “He is very religious” I am not certain if that was intended as a compliment or if I was being “profiled” 😊 You know, put into a “category” to set the context of the conversation. I don’t mind, actually, but if that is the limit of my witness – I should be concerned. But then I thought about the “natural man’s” understanding of Christians and religious is as much as they understand. Karen asked Sally if I would be willing to talk to her about one of Karen’s relatives living a particular lifestyle. What the lifestyle was is not the point – Karen was trying to sort it out – was it right or wrong and how should she respond to that person. I told Sally, initially, that I would not because I sensed the point was to argue the rightness and something Karen was certain I would consider wrong. Why?

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” -  1 Corinthians 2:14

I don’t believe that, apart from the Spirit of God, people can understand spiritual truth. It is like have a conversation with a person who speaks another language – words are said but there is no understanding – it is just gibberish. But then I had second thoughts. What if this was a God-appointed moment. So I decided that I would take a different approach.  First, I would ask Karen if she believes there is a God and that He created all things.  If yes – that is common ground – if no – then at least she would know where my beliefs about right and wrong come from. Giving a defense does not mean convincing someone to believe what you believe, but explaining why you believe what you believe. 

Second, I would explain that I believe that the Bible is God’s written revelation to mankind.  That it is Truth.

“[Jesus speaking] Sanctify them by Your [God the Father] truth. Your word is truth.” – John 17:17

I am not making it up as I go – it is not my culture’s opinion – not based upon how I feel that day – Truth does not change. So if I want to know the Truth, I look to God as the source of truth.

Third – it is possible to love someone who is doing something that God says not to do. There is a difference between acknowledging the fact that someone is sinning and judging them for it.  I am not to judge others. I am to love others – that is hard for a world that is performance based and cannot separate the sin from the sinner – throwing the baby out with the bath water, if you will. It can feel like a compromise. Certainly there are sins that have greater consequences than others – but in the final analysis – sin is sin and Jesus is the only answer.

I am not going to argue with a person about the rightness of God’s word – it is only the Spirit of God who can reveal that to the human heart. And when confronted with the Truth – that person must choose to accept or reject it. I cannot make that decision for them – nor can you. I must not guilt them into a false confession with them hoping it will make me happy – but there is no heart change. That may be religious but has nothing to do with true conversion and salvation.

If Karen is a Christian, my advice to her would be, love the person but stand your ground on not agreeing that their lifestyle is OK. If Karen is not a Christian, then I would tell her that according to God’s word, the lifestyle is not OK and like Nicodemus – knowing that Karen must be born again to understand why it is not OK and how she can still love the person without condoning what they are doing. Perhaps our conversation is a stepping stone on Karen’s path to salvation. Either way, my responsibility is to embrace the Truth and share it when given the opportunity.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation.” – 2 Corinthians 5:17-18

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

 

No comments: