Monday, December 27, 2021

What My Life Is Like When Jesus Is Lord

While thinking about what my Christian life should be like - not what it is in actuality - I was reminded of the prayer of St. Francis of Assisi.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
- Amen

My goal should be to live my life for God's glory and the good of mankind.  I don't know that I would want to give myself a grade in that regard. - a "C" maybe - would it be too proud to imagine a "C+".  We compare ourselves to other people when we want to feel good about ourselves - of course we pick people in the comparison who are deserving of an even lower grade. But when I compare myself to Jesus the One after which I call myself a disciple, I am reminded that I am but a jar of clay.  St. Francis' humble prayer reminds me that to fulfill my God-given purpose - to walk in a manner worthy of my calling.

I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love,  endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. - Ephesians 4:1-3

So Jesus asked the Disciples who the people and then who the Disciples thought He was.  Peter answered rightly.

Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. - Matthew 16:16-17

As a matter of fact, even the evil spirits knew who Jesus was and the spiritual power that He had as the Son of God.

Suddenly, a man in the synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit cried out, "Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are — the Holy One of God!" - Mark 1:23-24

The question is - "Do I know who Jesus is?" not the baby Jesus lying in the manger, but Jesus crucified and resurrected.  The first born among many. My reconciliation to the Creator God. The Way and the Truth and the Life (John 14:6). That recognition is not something I can figure out on my own - but must be revealed by God, the Father to me. 

The big question is this - what am I going to do about it? What are we going to do about it? 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: