Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Best Christmas Present – Is It Owned Or Loaned?

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” – Ephesians 2:8-9

My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.” – John 10:29

Maybe this has happened to you too. I have been given a gift and then the person who gave me the gift asked for it to be returned. In two cases, after some time, I was no longer using the gift and decided to repurpose it – to give it to someone else who needed it more than I did.  The response of the original gift giver was that I should have given it back to them.  I don’t know about you, but when I am given a gift – in my mind, the ownership of whatever that gift is transferred from the gift giver to me, the recipient – permanently.  Thinking back on it, perhaps when I receive a gift from someone I should clarify if it is a loan or if I then owned the gift to do with as I please.  I hoped that was unnecessary, but for some, perhaps not.  Does this make any sense to you? 

In their favor – perhaps the people I mentioned thought I was being ungrateful and their feelings were hurt.  In actuality, in their case –  I was very grateful at the expression of their love or affection toward me. But later when I saw that someone else had a greater need of it, I gave it to them. God has given us the gift of eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” – John 3:16

When He gave me that gift, salvation was mine – forever. God was not going to take it back if I did something that was contrary to His will. He would not think me ungrateful and therefore unworthy to have such a gift. But – He does expect confession and repentance. My salvation is not something that I can give away but it is something that others need and I can share how they can receive their own gift from the Gift Giver.

Jesus answered and said to her, ‘If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.’” – John 4:10

He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” – John 7:38

Jesus talked about the Gift I have received as if out of my Gift flows Gifts for others. My Gift begets more Gifts.  Or it can, if I am indeed willing to share it and don’t hold a death grip on it. It is THE best Christmas gift anyone can receive. Don’t forget about Jesus this Christmas – and tell others. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: