Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Making It To The Top - Almost

In Greek mythology Sisyphus or Sisyphos (/ Sis a fuss /); was the founder and king of Ephyra (now known as Corinth). Zeus punished him for cheating death twice by forcing Sisyphus to roll an immense boulder up a hill only for it to roll down every time it neared the top, repeating this action for eternity .

I don't know if you have read any Greek mythology when you were in highschool but  I did.  I won't go into any more detail than to say that I have used the myth of Sisyphus a number of times as an analogy for a number of life's circumstances.  One in particular is this new life in Christ that we live. What does it take to get it right? To get to the top of the hill. It seems that being the Christian we are supposed to be can be just out of reach. Just when you think have it figured out - you find out that you don't.  Do you remember the rich young ruler?

"Now behold, one came and said to Him, 'Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?' So He said to him, 'Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.' He said to Him, 'Which ones?' Jesus said, 'You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and your mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' The young man said to Him, 'All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?' Jesus said to him, 'If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.' But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions." - Matthew 19:16-22

"If you want to be perfect" The young man thought that doing or good works was his ticket to heaven. Did you notice that Jesus did not mention the greatest commandment? Love God with all ... Or did He? In fact the only commandments he mentioned were the last 6 of the 10 commandments with no mention of the first 4. Or perhaps He did. When He told the man to sell everything, it was because there was something he loved more than the Father - possessions. The young man had rolled the stone nearly all the way to the top when Jesus stopped him in his tracks and the stone rolled back to the bottom of the hill - again! 

When the man started the conversations, call Jesus good teacher, Jesus pointed him to the Father knowing his heart was far from God.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." - 1 Timothy 6:10

Being conformed to the image of the Son of God is a process - it can be a painful one.  God will demand that you let lose of the things that your flesh loves and depends upon. That can only be done by faith.  The secret is to stop trying to push the stone and trust the one who made the stone and the hill.  I know I have shared this quote before but I love it so.

"I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am" - John Newton (he wrote Amazing Grace)

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: