Friday, August 21, 2015

Not I, But Christ Lives In Me




“Blessed are the poor in spirit…” —Matthew 5:3

“ The true character of the loveliness that speaks for God is always unnoticed by the one possessing that quality. Conscious influence is prideful and unchristian. If I wonder if I am being of any use to God, I instantly lose the beauty and the freshness of the touch of the Lord. “He who believes in Me…out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” (John 7:38). And if I examine the outflow, I lose the touch of the Lord. Who are the people who have influenced us most? Certainly not the ones who thought they did, but those who did not have even the slightest idea that they were influencing us. In the Christian life, godly influence is never conscious of itself. If we are conscious of our influence, it ceases to have the genuine loveliness which is characteristic of the touch of Jesus. We always know when Jesus is at work because He produces in the commonplace something that is inspiring.” CHAMBERS

Knowing who I am in Christ means that I know it is all Jesus and none of me (my flesh/old nature).  It is so easy to slip into the thinking that I have actually accomplished something that is other-worldly.  I cannot do anything, on my own, that is fit for the kingdom of heaven.  Except for one thing … walk in obedience to the Lord.  And so, I can take no credit for what God accomplishes through me.  In Luke 17:10 Jesus told His disciples that if they are praised for what people see them do, say  ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’  That is being poor in spirit.  I must remember who I am without Jesus to appreciate who I am with Jesus.  So should you.  ELGIN

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: