Tuesday, October 1, 2013

When The Glory Fades Will I Still Love Them?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘We have all experienced times of exaltation on the mountain, when we have seen things from God’s perspective and have wanted to stay there. But God will never allow us to stay there. The true test of our spiritual life is in exhibiting the power to descend from the mountain. If we only have the power to go up, something is wrong. It is a wonderful thing to be on the mountain with God, but a person only gets there so that he may later go down and lift up the demon-possessed people in the valley (see Mark 9:14-18). We are not made for the mountains, for sunrises, or for the other beautiful attractions in life— those are simply intended to be moments of inspiration. We are made for the valley and the ordinary things of life, and that is where we have to prove our stamina and strength. Yet our spiritual selfishness always wants repeated moments on the mountain. We feel that we could talk and live like perfect angels, if we could only stay on the mountaintop.’ CHAMBERS
 
It would be wonderful if our expectations gained on the mountain top matched our experience in the valley.  When Moses would come off of the mountain after being with God, his face glowed.  But after a short while, the glow faded. Like Moses what we consistently experience is a fallen world .. people struggling to survive anyway they can … ingratitude … unceasing demands .. an experience much like Jesus had in His earthly ministry.  It is a test of our faith.    Recently I heard a pastor say … “I do not let what others think of me or say about me affect what I think of them or say about them.” In other words … I am going to love them the way God loves me.
 
Do you know how impossible it is to love people like that on your own.  We can’t do it on our own.  We can only be successful in loving others if we let God love through us.  Do you know how many people (Christians) actually love others that way? I don’t think there are many, because people want a reciprocal love … If I love you then you have to love me back.  If I do something nice to you, then you should show appreciation for what I have done.  Do you remember the story about Hosea and Gomer.  Hosea was a prophet and God told him to marry Gomer a prostitute .. Hosea loved her but she did not reciprocate … it was a picture of God’s relationship with the nation of Israel.  Walking in the valley that God puts your feet in requires the strength we can only get from an intimate relationship with Jesus.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: