Saturday, May 11, 2013

Who Do You Love?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘ […] the Holy Spirit reveals to me that God loved me not because I was lovable, but because it was His nature to do so. Now He commands me to show the same love to others by saying, “. . . love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12). He is saying, “I will bring a number of people around you whom you cannot respect, but you must exhibit My love to them, just as I have exhibited it to you.” This kind of love is not a patronizing love for the unlovable— it is His love, and it will not be evidenced in us overnight. […] I should look within and remember how wonderfully He has dealt with me. The knowledge that God has loved me beyond all limits will compel me to go into the world to love others in the same way. I may get irritated because I have to live with an unusually difficult person. But just think how disagreeable I have been with God! Am I prepared to be identified so closely with the Lord Jesus that His life and His sweetness will be continually poured out through Me?’ [CHAMBERS]
 
Wouldn’t it be great if we could choose who we show the love of God toward?  There are some people that are so easy to love.  Then there are others that we would prefer to never see again.  Does anyone come to mind as you read this?  Do you remember the parable of the unforgiving servant in Matthew 18.  The question posed to Jesus was about forgiveness. The principle behind the parable Jesus told is that just as God has treated us .. we who did not deserve His grace and mercy .. that we should show the same grace and mercy to others.  It is not an option .. God expects it.  But like the unforgiving servant .. we are not so quick to show that same love to other people … at least some people.
 
Loving others is something that springs out of my “new” nature toward everyone … if it does not, I need to examine my heart. What does that love look like?  1 Corinthians 13Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: