Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What Is Your Excuse?

My Utmost For His Highest

‘One of the greatest hindrances in coming to Jesus is the excuse of our own individual temperament. We make our temperament and our natural desires barriers to coming to Jesus. Yet the first thing we realize when we do come to Jesus is that He pays no attention whatsoever to our natural desires. We have the idea that we can dedicate our gifts to God. However, you cannot dedicate what is not yours. There is actually only one thing you can dedicate to God, and that is your right to yourself’ CHAMBERS

I have heard Christians talk about themselves or others in the context some trait or tendency saying “That is just the way that I am.”  As if to say … there are some things about me that I am satisfied will never change … I can’t change them .. .God can’t change them … you will just have to accept me as I am.  Now I can accept the fact that you are from Oregon … that you are a certain height or weight … but when you tell me that there is something about how you treat others, or talk, or lose your temper, or some such thing that and it  is unchangeable. I must, on that point, disagree.  The truth is that you have limited what you are willing to give to God.  Let’s not confuse this with some issue in your life that has you bound up .. that spills over into your relationships .. that wounds others and frustrates you to no end ... that you are taking to God and seeking His strength to release you and cahnge you … No… this is about those things that you are content to carry around with you .. they make you who you are … distinct … memorable … ‘Oh you know how they are!’  people might say ….

In the Celebrate Recovery ministry, they use a play on words and say DE-NIAL (denial) is not a river in Egypt.  We deny that the trait or our temperament is in fact sinful … it misses the mark … the mark of our high calling …

Philippians 3:13-19  ‘Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,  (14)  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.  (15)  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.  (16)  Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.  (17)  Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.  (18)  (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:  (19)  Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)’

(my frustration) One thing I have to be careful of when writing these devotions is that each day I could easily write volumes on the issue because there is so much the Word says about the issues of life.  But I catch myself, lest you stop reading what I sense the Lord is guiding me to share with you.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20  ‘Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  (20)  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.’

As Christians we often live as if we have the right to decide how we will live .. how we will act .. how we will treat other people … we are double-minded … missing the point … our lives are to be a testimony to the power of God to salvation .. redemption .. transformation … not just a proclamation that we possess a ‘Get Out of Hell Free’ card …

Romans 8:5-8  ‘For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.  (6)  For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.  (7)  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.  (8)  So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.’

Take some time today to examine what you might be clinging to .. what you have accepted as unchangeable .. the way you are and will always be .. too bad if it has a negative impact on other people … Rather let your life be a living testimony of God’s transformational power .. Let your light shine before all men …

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: