Friday, June 29, 2012

What Are You Thinking?

My Utmost For His Highest

‘When God changes you through regeneration, giving you knew life through spiritual rebirth, your life initially has the characteristic of being maimed. There are a hundred and one things that you dare not do— things that would be sin for you, and would be recognized as sin by those who really know you. But the unspiritual people around you will say, “What’s so wrong with doing that? How absurd you are!” There has never yet been a saint who has not lived a maimed life initially. Yet it is better to enter into life maimed but lovely in God’s sight than to appear lovely to man’s eyes but lame to God’s. At first, Jesus Christ through His Spirit has to restrain you from doing a great many things that may be perfectly right for everyone else but not right for you.’ CHAMBERS

Since I have become a Christian many aspects of my life have changed.  There are many things that I once did and said that are no longer part of my life.  There are some things that are not contrary to the Word of God but, if I did them, I might cause another, younger saint to stumble.  1 Corinthians 8:13  Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.’

Paul is talking about eating food that is sacrificed to idols, in this case.  But the principle is that I am to be concerned about the affect my actions have on others.  When God asked Cain where his brother Able was , after Cain had killed him, his response was “Am I my brother’s keeper?” (Genesis 4:9)  In today’s vernacular he would have said, ‘This is not my day to watch him!’  Do you see the contrast between Paul and Cain?

Maybe there is something in your life, that you should stop doing for the good of your Brother … and you think, “Why should I stop doing that.  There is nothing wrong with it .. if they can’t handle it, that’s their problem not mine.” Really? Is that the attitude of someone who says they love their brother with a sacrificial love?  (John 15:13) The very fact that the thought entered my mind should be a warning .. there is something not right about that thought, that attitude.  Why is being able to do that particular thing so important to me?  John 13:34-35  ‘A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I [Jesus] have loved you, that you also love one another.  (35)  By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."’

Showing that kind of love to each other is a Christian distinctive.  It shouts .. THIS IS A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST!.  Why?  Because the world says .. do what you want .. look out for yourself … live life to the fullest … get it while you can .. any way you can.  Jesus said “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”  If we want to know the way .. if we want to know the truth … if we want to know life … we can find it in Him.  John 10:9-11  ‘I [Jesus] am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.   (10)  The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  (11)  "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.’

So what is the Spirit saying to you  today?  Does your life shout ‘I am a disciple of Jesus’? Or is it hard to tell the difference between you and the guy next door who is on the fast track to hell?  You know what the ‘right’ answer is .. but what is the ‘truthful’ answer.  Your heart is telling you right now.

Matthew 5:16  ‘Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.’

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: