Saturday, June 23, 2012

Be Ready

My Utmost For His Highest

‘We have to recognize that sin is a fact of life, not just a shortcoming. Sin is blatant mutiny against God, and either sin or God must die in my life. The New Testament brings us right down to this one issue— if sin rules in me, God’s life in me will be killed; if God rules in me, sin in me will be killed. There is nothing more fundamental than that. The culmination of sin was the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, and what was true in the history of God on earth will also be true in your history and in mine— that is, sin will kill the life of God in us. We must mentally bring ourselves to terms with this fact of sin. It is the only explanation why Jesus Christ came to earth, and it is the explanation of the grief and sorrow of life.’ CHAMBERS

That seems pretty straight forward doesn’t it?  Who or what controls my life … the great lie is to believe that ‘I’ do.  But we have a master .. whether we want one or not .. it is either sin or God.  Those have always been the choices.  We have a free will … we can choose one master or the other.  There is not third item on the menu.  Now some may argue .. I choose to believe there is no God .. Atheist .. it is a very lofty view … I think mostly educated people hold that view … but the fact is they are just in denial … agnostics are wanna be atheists … I’m not certain there is a God … so I will go the way of my brother the Ostrich and stick my head in the sand.  At least I don’t have to watch while the lion eats me.

Both views are a deception of sin.  The result is a rejection of God and the acceptance is sin as their master.  They just don’t know it .. they actually believe there is a third item on the menu.  I am teaching a Bible study with the Haitian staff at the Children’s Home.  We are studying the Book of John.  I was explaining to them that we have two choices … we can choose to go to heaven or we can choose to go to hell.  We can choose to believe in God or we can choose not to believe in God.  We can choose to live in the bondage of sin or in the freedom in Christ.

For the Christian there is more to the story … you see, the master “sin” may have been tossed out the door, but he waits crouched on the door step waiting for an opportunity.  He may never own you again, but he can still influence you if you are not on your guard.  In Hebrews 12:1  we are told to throw off the sin … the picture I have is sin leaping onto my back .. I grab it and throw it to the ground.  You have to be ready for it .. sin that is … because it will spring on you when you least suspect it … the element of surprise is important in any battle.  Many have fallen because they were not paying attention.   So be ready .. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” 1 Peter 5:8    You are in a spiritual battle every day.

 “[…] when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.” Ephesians 4:20-24

Be Ready .. Shine Brightly

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: