Monday, June 25, 2012

His Strength in My Weakness

My Utmost For His Highest

‘As a saint of God, my attitude toward sorrow and difficulty should not be to ask that they be prevented, but to ask that God protect me so that I may remain what He created me to be, in spite of all my fires of sorrow. Our Lord received Himself, accepting His position and realizing His purpose, in the midst of the fire of sorrow. He was saved not from the hour, but out of the hour.  We say that there ought to be no sorrow, but there is sorrow, and we have to accept and receive ourselves in its fires. If we try to evade sorrow, refusing to deal with it, we are foolish. Sorrow is one of the biggest facts in life, and there is no use in saying it should not be. Sin, sorrow, and suffering are, and it is not for us to say that God has made a mistake in allowing them.’ CHAMBERS

As Christians .. we are not protected from trouble or sorrow … it is a part of life … the difference is not in what kind of sorrow we encounter along the way, but in how we respond to it when it comes.  A Christian’s life is supposed to be a light in a dark world.  The other night I heard a  young man was saying that he understood that God was asking him to lay his life down to serve Him .. and that he would face difficult times … that he was prepared to do what was necessary and endure whatever came his way for the cause of Christ … That is a profound spiritual realization for any Christian … and a clear indication that hand of God on that person.

The majority of Christians that I have met do not have that deep understanding of life and faith.  They live their lives in hope that nothing bad will happen … and when it does … they want out of it and pray to that end.  They pray, ‘Lord .. get me out of this and let your rescue be the testimony of your power, grace and mercy.’  I think the prayer more pleasing to God would be .. ‘Lord give me the strength to endure .. not stumble in this trial …. To accept that in the midst of the trial, the light Christ will shine brightly through me … the more severe my circumstance … the greater the testimony to the world as I persevere in it.’

John 16:33  ‘These things I [Jesus] have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.’

You see it?  Jesus did not say that in Me you will not have any problems .. in Me you will never be sick … no … you are going to have problems in life .. but do you see the bigger picture?

James 1:2-3  My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.

1 Peter 1:6-9  In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,  (7)  that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,  (8)  whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,  (9)  receiving the end of your faith--the salvation of your souls.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10  Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  (9)  And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Do we want to be a witness for Jesus?  What if that testimony takes the form of persevering through a great personal trial?  If our life is in Jesus.  If we are truly connected to the Vine.  Then our strength to endure will be found in Him.  So what are we to do?  Faint or stand … persevere or give up … trust in ourselves or seek God for strength …

My encouragement to you for today is .... that you will sincerely ask God for the strength to endure as an opportunity to show the power of God through your life.  Lift up Jesus through your trial and others will be drawn to Him.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: