Thursday, April 25, 2024

It Was And Is And Will Be Jesus

"Jesus said to him [Thomas], “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

I was not raised in a Christian home. My dad was a nominal Episcopalian married to a Jehovah's Witness. My mom was a nominal Catholic married to a Christian Scientist. I rarely went to church with my dad and never went to church with my mom. While I was in the Army serving in Vietnam, I started receiving letters from my mom, telling me about her newfound faith in Jesus. After I returned from Vietnam and got out of the Army I moved back home for a time. Home life was not what I remembered. Everything was different. I was confused and felt out of place. There was something they had that I did not, but I could not quite put my finger on it. When I talked to mom about what was happening, she told me what the difference was - It was Jesus. I understood the words but equated it to religion as I knew it. And left it at that.

Not long after, I got reacquainted with a girl I had met at a soda fountain in a local drug store and eventually married her. I was confused by and really not interested in religion. She was Catholic, so we got married in a Catholic church, but I did not convert. I saw it as just another religion - like the other religions. I went to church with her, now and again, but I really wasn't interested in it. I went to make her happy. As time passed, our marriage was OK, but it was lacking. We were both committed to staying married, no matter what - but that commitment was getting stretched. 4 years after our marriage my mom invited us to church. That same Sunday, I came under conviction and told Martie that I was going to make a decision that would change our life together. She said later that she thought I was going to ask for a divorce. That wasn't it. It was Jesus. I told her I was going to surrender my life to Christ. She said, "Did you think that maybe I wanted to do that too?" So, we knelt next to the bed together and prayed the prayer of salvation. We started a new life together - because of Jesus.

Years later our daughter told her mom that she would never re-marry if she could not have what Martie and I had in a relationship. We have been married 52 years and our children joke about how we still flirt with each other. I told Martie to tell her that the difference in our relationship was and is Jesus. Jesus makes the difference. I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "No Jesus - No Peace; Know Jesus - Know Peace."

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He came that we could and would have life and have it more abundantly. Just as the Creator Father God intended. Martie and I were on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ Military Ministry for a season. As an acquaintance with Campus Crusade for Christ, Military Ministry would say, "It's all about Jesus and all about grace". The difference was and is and always will be Jesus. He is a difference maker.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: