Monday, April 11, 2022

My Sin Is Not That Bad

"I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" - Romans 7:21-24

When I listen to sermons - I listen to everything that is said - but I look for, listen for what I call "spiritual take-aways". Thoughts that I have in response to what is being said where the Spirit quickens my heart. One take-away yesterday was the thought - My sin is not that bad.

Have you ever had that thought? Your sin is not that bad.  Perhaps it is some "little" sin that nags at you - has for years - some thought or some behavior that you just can't seem to shake. It persists not because you like it - you have tried to not think it or do it - but just when you thought you had mastered it and it was not longer your master - there it was - again. It persists because you have resolved yourself to its presence and have decided that it cannot be quenched. Some might say of you, "Oh that is just the way he or she is." Showing you grace and mercy in spite of it.  Or perhaps it is a sin that is hidden from the eyes of man - but not from God.

How do you know it is sin? Because that "still small voice" in you brings it to your awareness in your innermost. Each time it happens, you feel frustrated and helpless. I do not think that at some point in our lives while on this planet the we will not sin. Only Jesus holds that place in the history of mankind. But I want to remind you that we do have an intercessor, even Jesus, who understands our struggle. 

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:15-16

That is not to suggest that it is ever OK that we sin. Although it is understandable, it is never excusable. Our friends or family may accept it or make some excuse for it, but my sin - your sin always grieves God. He sent His Son to die on the cross to save us from Sin's penalty. We should never think of some sin or sins as acceptable because we cannot master them. There are no sins that do not affect our spiritual health. 

"For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all." - James 2:10

You may not like the thought of that - I know I don't. But embracing the truth of James 2:10 is to accept the fact that even our little - hidden sins matter. When they happen - and they will - we must take them to the Throne of Grace. Paul does not leave his questions unanswered in Romans 7.

"I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! ... There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." - Romans 7:25, 8:1-4

We couldn't save ourselves. Could not overcome the power and consequence of sin before our new birth and we can't overcome it now. But only by God's grace and mercy can we stand before God. Only because of Jesus can we be bold and not shrink in fear when we enter the "Throne Room". The lie that small sins don't matter comes from the pit of hell and the desire of our flesh to justify itself.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin." Romans 6:1-7

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

  

No comments: