Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Is It OK For A Christian To Say #@$%_!(

Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.” – Ephesians 4:29-32

Profanity was a big - or I guess I should say, natural, part of my vocabulary before I was born again.  I thought nothing of it - unless I was around women and children.  So I guess I did think something of it after all.  But profanity like a number of other things in my life virtually disappeared, old things passed away, from my thinking and speaking - no matter who was listening. Sure, they are just words - but then again - words are a reflection of the heart.

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." - Luke 6:45

Martie and I have been watching with great dismay as profanity has found its way into virtually every aspect of life. You see it written on cars - in publications - on television - in movies. In print you may see the first letter followed by a series of dots or special characters like I used in the title of this post.  The thing is - our minds fill in the blanks so the objective of the writer is fulfilled as if the word had been spelled out in plain text.

There used to be censors for television and movies that prevented profanity and sexual content from being made public - then they started using ratings to warn people or entice them that they would be exposed to certain "adult" content. It is OK for adults but not for children.  I learned that lesson when I was a child.  I spent many hours sitting on the back steps having taken a bite of soap for cussing in front of my mom - I might have been 5 or 6 at the time.  The thing is, the words I used I had heard from her! (long before she was saved I might add) Kids were carded at the movie theaters to prove they were old enough to watch certain ratings.  Now they can watch what they want right in their own living rooms.

Martie and I have a small plaque sitting on the side board just below our television that says "Above All Else - Guard Your Heart" - Proverbs 4:23

It is a reminder that the television is a portal through which carnality can finds its way into our home and minds.  And just when we think we have found something "safe" to watch - BOOM!!! There it is - profanity at its best - or worst!

I have talked with some Christian men who seem to think that the use us profanity is not only permissible but is actually a sign of some superior spirituality. It is a sign that they are MEN of faith, when what I see is carnality.  

 "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." - Philippians 4:8-9

How do you reconcile the using or listening to profanity in light of that admonition? I do not think it is justifiable. Thinking it but not saying it is not an escape clause in the Bible.  Jesus said that if you think it - embrace it - you are guilty of it. (He used adultery and murder in our thought life as examples. Matthew 5:21-30)

My point here is to encourage you to be on your guard. Do not use the excuse of "that is just in the movie" as a reason to "dip your toes" into the culture and what is offers as OK all the while being in conflict with what the Spirit would tell you is NOT OK.

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.” – Matthew 5:13

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: