Wednesday, October 13, 2021

An Attitude of Gratitude

O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!. There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.” – Romans 7:24-25, 8:1-2

The context of these verses is Paul reflecting on his struggle with the old and new nature and the realization that by faith in Jesus he is and we are free from condemnation for our sin. If you are anything like me, you don’t think about that very often if at all. If you are like me, you continue to struggle with temptation – with sin. It is at that very point of struggle that I should be mindful of the fact that I have been saved but grace through faith and not works.  That is not to say that I should therefore be content and not worry about sin – but be thankful that I do not have to face the temptation alone.  That God has made a way to escape – if I will only take it.

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:13

We are supernaturally equipped to live our new lives. Something to be thankful for and to live rightly. With respect to knowing sin when you see it or perhaps feel it approaching – the answer is simple.

Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.”– James 4:17

How do I know what is good? We have the Word of God and the Spirit of God – our Helper – the Spirit of Truth – in us, to remind us of what is “good” and what is not. For that we should be thankful. Yet, it is up to us yield to His leading.  People have told me that I have wisdom and some seek my advice. The thing is, my advice means nothing if they are not willing to follow it.  I have quoted John Newton a number of times, but it bears repeating. 

I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am..” – John Newton

That is the understanding that I want to embrace for my life. Thinking about John Newton’s life and, in turn, my own causes me to well up with gratitude and to want to live a life faithful to God’s calling and my salvation.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: