Friday, May 14, 2021

The Practice of the Presence of God – Day 4

For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified’”  –  1 Corinthians 2:2

“I haven’t followed any particular steps in my own spiritual growth…. My first prayers were about death, judgement, hell, heaven, and my sins….During the first 10 years, however, I worried that my walk with the Lord wasn’t good enough. Because I couldn’t forget my past sins … I used to fall often and then get up again … I feel unable to express what is going on inside me right now. I’m not anxious about my purpose in life because I only want to do God’s will.  I wouldn’t even lift a straw from the ground without His order or any other motive than love for Him.” (pp 39,40,41, The Practice of the Presence of God)

Reading Brother Lawrence’s description of his spiritual path, I think, is pretty much a description of what most Christians experience.  Like a baby … who crawls and then walks, we all go through it.  It is the process of sanctification (big word) – being conformed into the image of Jesus – which the Father has purposed. Sadly for me it has not been a steady climb, but I have plateaued from time to time. But it seems that those seasons when there was not much growth were not the finish line for me, but the Spirit would urge me to press on. Martie and I were born again in September of 1976. The thing is, I think, is to never be satisfied with where we are.  But to pursue God. To practice being aware of His presence.  Martie and I are in Montana right now at the Grand Canyon.  It is magnificent.  A brilliant reminder of God’s creation. God is not in it – as some religions would tell us, but He is present all around us.  Oh that I would be aware of that all of the time.

This following quote is by John Newton (the Amazing Grace guy). I have shared it before but I think it captures what Brother Lawrence was saying.

“I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am.”

Me too!

Believe it – walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: