Monday, March 15, 2021

The Difference Between Self-Confidence and God-Confidence

For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh, though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.  But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness. Once we are born again, God will ask us to do the impossible for His glory.” – Philippians 3:3-9

Each one of us has a set of unique abilities and experiences that sets us apart from other people, both naturally and spiritually, that is if you are born again.  For most of us, our “go to”, our first choice, is to place our confidence in the natural. The Apostle Paul was a Jew’s Jew – naturally he was superior to nearly every Jewish person he met on the street. He had plenty of reason to be proud, to rest on his laurels if you will.  I suppose that most people knew who he was and what his accomplishments were – maybe thinking they could never be like him. That God must show great favor toward him because of his character and accomplishments. 

But something happened on the road to Damascus – Paul met Jesus – and Paul’s view toward himself and his abilities was turned on its head.  His heart was changed. What he valued, what he put pride in, was no longer what he had done but what Christ had done for him and in him.  He counted everything that made him somebody in his community and among the “Spiritual Elite” as “dung”. Not that they were not, in an of themselves significant, but in comparison the what Jesus had done and was doing – they were less than nothing.

It is not wrong to be accomplished in this life. But we must keep things in perspective.  Keeping in mind from whence we came into this world and to keep who and what we are naturally in its proper perspective.  Everything I am and everything I have done, that is good, is because God created me with certain abilities and aptitudes. Why? For His glory and for others good.  I was going to elaborate my worldly accomplishments, like Paul did, but I think I will let it pass. Suffice it to say that my life experiences and my abilities are unique and impressive to some people. But, they are “dung” in light of what God has done in me and through me.

 Then Jesus said to His disciples, ‘If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.’” – Matthew 16:24-25

We, like Paul, must strive to live our lives in the context of Jesus charge to His disciples.  Taking up my cross means that I lay my natural life and natural dependencies down in favor of my spiritual life and dependence upon God.  There is a spiritual reality that, once you embrace it, changes how you live this natural life.  To embrace it means more than simply acknowledgement.  It means that you live in pursuit of knowing Christ and Him crucified.  Jesus was the example for Paul and Paul, in turn, is an example for us.

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.” – Philippians 2:5-8

Remember the bracelets with WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) on them? Going to the Cross is what Jesus did.  And that is what we are to do as living sacrifices – like Paul. The bracelets were silent testimonies to a world that is dead towards its Creator and a reminder of how we are to live and do. But that bracelet is not what changes us – it the faith and heart change that the world needs to see.  That is our testimony and demonstration of what it means to be a Christian – born again – children of the Creator God.

Believe it – walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: