Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Called To Declare The Word Of Reconciliation

Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.” – 2 Corinthians 5:16-19

 <Entry>  12 Jan 2011.  As I listen to everyone [the volunteer team] I wonder – Lord – Do I have a role in this [work]? For most it is a break from their routine – for me? – It is a life commitment. Bill [Pastor Bill Mitchell] said that I had made a decision to go from being successful – to being significant in making a difference that is bigger than me – or my family, I see these people [Haitians] living lives that all previous generations have lived before them. They are no different – they are content – living their simple lives. What is their need? Physical – Spiritual – they were born here. Why? Did God know them before they were formed? Yes! It is not about living conditions or cuisine – it is about relationship – not about the house or the car we own. As we ride through the villages – the volunteers are taking pictures – of the buildings – of the people – like we are on a safari – taking pictures of the surroundings and the wildlife. I know that it is new to them – but it feels invasive and impersonal. John chapter 1, I remember that mom loved that chapter. We are all called to be like John the Baptist – declaring Jesus to the world. Lord help me today – give me eyes to see and ears to listen. No to longer live for myself but for Him who died for me. < End of Entry>

That first trip to Haiti awakened me to spiritual truths that were lying in the shadows of my mind. Like a fog clearing as the sun rises to reveal what had been there all along. God has called us to be engaged in this world – demonstrating the love of God to a lost world.  It is far too easy to “go on safari” and stay in the confines of a safe vehicle.  To see the struggle of others without compassion. Like watching the world through our television set. 

Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’” – Matthew 25:37-40

Dr. John Maxwell said, “People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.” The truth of our words is proven by what we do. Do people see Jesus in you?

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without [a]your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!  But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? – James 2:14-20

I was told that Martin Luther struggled with the Book of James because of his stand that we are justified – saved by faith and not works – which the Bible plainly teaches. But good works are a natural result of our faith or should be and if not – our faith does not yield the fruit that God intended – it is essentially dead to the world.  Something to consider over this Christmas season, celebrating the time when God gave His Son to a world that did not deserve it. He did it as an act of love- mercy and grace.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: