Monday, October 26, 2020

Right Hand Man

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’’” —Isaiah 41:10

When I heard that scripture read yesterday at the church service we attend – virtually – I was reminded of the term – “He is my right hand man” I don’t hear it used much anymore, come to think of it.  It refers to a person who has been given authority and honor; a most trusted advisor who is always close at hand.  To be at someone’s right hand is a good and rewarding position.  

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,  having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.” – Hebrews1:1-4

Jesus is sitting in the position of honor in Heaven – at the Father’s right hand.  Jesus who has been given all authority by the Father. I will not be addressing the nature of the Trinity this morning. I know what it is. I know what the roles of each the form the Trinity are, but I do not presume to understand it. But … I am so thankful for it.

I [Jesus] can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.” – John 5:30

Jesus sits at the right hand of God in obedience to the will of the Father. “Not my will by Thy will be done.” We have salvation because of His obedience to the Father.  The Father sent the son for the purpose of being a sacrifice for mankind. For the purpose of restoration of mankind to the Father, overcoming the penalty of sin which is eternal separation from the Father.  And like Jesus, we too are asked by the Father to offer ourselves as sacrifices – living sacrifices – as a testimony to the Cross and its power to transform what was dead to God into something that is alive with an eternal hope.

I [Paul] beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” – Romans 12:1-2

Like Jesus – to do the will of the Father who saved us. What does a living sacrifice look like? It does not look like the world – but is a reflection of the Son.  And having been made alive through faith by the Spirit of God, if people see the Son in us, then they see the Father as well.

Philip said to Him, ‘Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.’” – John 14:8-10

Do you see? Do you see what your life is supposed to be like Christian? We must stop embracing our culture which dims our light – our reflection of Jesus. Let your light shine my friend. I have a story to tell you – but that can wait for tomorrow.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: