Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Mop-a-day-oh

“But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he [a man in the ditch] was. And when he saw him, he had compassion.”—Luke 10:33

The Lord woke me early this morning. Does that sound odd? Or perhaps I should ask – does He ever wake you up? What is it like? I wake up and there is a thought that comes immediately to mind. Actually it was two words – courage and m’ap-ede-ou. I will talk about the second before I do the first.

M’apedeou is a Haitian Creole contraction. The first time I heard it was years ago at an orphanage in Jacmel.  If you “un-contract” the words it is “mwen ap ede ou” – I will help you. I had asked someone to help me and they responded with m’apedeou. Since my conversational Creole was not that great, at the time, I had no idea what they said. We speak in contractions all of the time and think nothing of it. So why did the Lord bring that memory to the forefront of my mind at 3:00 a.m.? God often asks us to do what is impossible for man to do. To do what others would refuse to do. To walk to the other side of the road when we have no “real” responsibility to help.

Someone in the ministry I work with was contacted by some from the city help line. It seems a 72 year old widow, suffering from a recent stroke, her only companion a Chihuahua, was having a serious plumbing problem.  They asked if the ministry could help. The request was passed to another person and then found its way to me – as Pathfinder Mission – a ministry that provides that sort of help. I asked the contractor that does work for us – COVID 19 has eradicated the volunteer work force for a season – to look into it. It was the sewer line from the house to the main line – concrete pipe that had deteriorated. So I told him to fix it. Then I asked the Lord to provide the funds to pay the contractor. Does that seem out of sync to you? A prudent person would first find the money and then do the work. 

For we walk by faith, not by sight.” – 2 Corinthians 5:7

When Peter climbed out of the boat it was in response to a command that defied nature. Men cannot walk on water. But he did – by faith. God asks us to live like Peter – the Lord called me out of the boat to help that woman. And then the contractor told me that the problem was not just with the cement pipe but the black cast iron drain pipes and the galvanized supply lines and the water heater. My reply was – of course it is. It is always something else.  Then I was reminded that the Samaritan not only bandaged the wounds, but took the man to a place where he could be cared for and paid for it.  Someone had fixed a break in the cement pipe before, but they did not fix the problem.

I am not trying to impress you with my obedience or spirituality. I am trying to encourage you to listen for God’s voice and be willing to do what seems impossible for men. We are all called to get out of the boat from time to time.  To be willing to do something that runs against the grain of what seems reasonable to the natural man. That is where the second word comes in. Courage.

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:8-9

Courage is not action in the absence of fear, but action in spite of fear. God asks us to trust Him and do the impossible – the improbable – the unthinkable. And when we step into the water, like with Joshua and Israel stepping into the river Jordan – the river backs up – but our feet touching the water did not cause that to happen. Our faith and obedience did.  God acted for our good and His Glory! The woman I mentioned I have never seen – and will probably never see – that is not necessary. We have helped a lot of people through this ministry and that by the power of God. People that we will never meet this side of heaven. Them knowing who we are, who I am, is not the point. Listen, when you worry about recognition, you are very near to robbing God of His glory. And the temptation will come calling – trust me. So today and every day – be ready to help those in need – whatever those needs might be – be willing to step out of the boat – to defy the natural and trust God – God who is able to do exceedingly abundantly more than we can ask or think. Remember …..  

This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the Lord of hosts.” – Zechariah 4:6

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: