Monday, May 18, 2020

When I Just Don’t Know What To Say


Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” – Romans 8:26-27

Have you ever been at a loss for words? Ever said or thought, “I just don’t know what to say.”? I know I have.  I feel like I ought to say something but the words will just not come to mind.  That is what it is like sometimes when I pray to God.  I want my prayer life to be more than “Thank you for this food.” or “Help me!” But the words just won’t come to mind. I was just thinking that sometimes I feel like I “have to” pray when, in fact, the truth is, I “get to” pray.

Have you heard someone pray – not in King James English – but it seemed that they were praying from their heart bringing peace to your soul?.  Their words blessed you. Or maybe you watched someone at church pray for the congregation and they were reading something they had written beforehand. Often it is more like a mini-sermon than an outpouring of the heart. My point is not to be critical but that we all struggle with praying spontaneously, revealing our vulnerability and our need to be heard by the Father.

Have you ever been in a room with someone, wanting to say something but the words that came to mind did not just seem to be the right words, so you are silent? Have you ever had someone say to you  - “Why don’t you just say something?” It is a struggle when what you have to say – what you must say is difficult to say. It might be “Forgive me.” Or “I am sorry” or perhaps “I need help.” Or “I am hurting physically or emotionally.” Or …..

We have a hard enough time when the conversation is with a person – how much more when it is with the Creator God. Have you ever been with a group of people and they were talking about things that you just did not understand? Perhaps thinking, “It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.” (People cannot agree who said it first) I have been there – fearful that I might be shown not a fool so much as ignorant.” It can make you feel uncomfortable.

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever” ― John 14:16

Because that very same Helper is in each and every Believer – sealing us for the day of redemption – we are never at a loss for words when it comes to talking with – praying to God.  Praying is a spiritual activity. A conversation from our hearts to God’s heart. There are deep spiritual truths that we are just not capable of understanding this side of Heaven. Things that we are not able to express to God. Not because we have not been to seminary. Not because we have not memorized enough scripture. It is because we are like children and there are things that, as spiritual children, we just don’t understand.  But God knows that and He has made a way for us by His Spirit.  The helper that Jesus talked about. 

So does that mean that I don’t have to pray? Of course not! God craves for time with each of us.  The Bible is replete with admonitions for us to pray – above and beyond meal time. 

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7

But we don’t have to “wax eloquent” in that conversation.  What we must do is speak from the heart that which we do know to say, and when we are at a loss for words, the Spirit will help us with the rest.  It is really that simple and that wonderful.

No comments: