Wednesday, April 15, 2020

God Gets Us Moving So He Can Direct Our Path


 “Men make plans in their hearts, but God orders their steps.” – Proverbs 16:9 

The path that I follow as I walk in the Way is not about me chopping my way through the jungle – making a path – figuring it out on my own. It’s about me listening to the Lord and not judging the people or decomposing the problem to solve it like it was some academic exercise, but hearing the still small voice.  Lord, I want to hear your voice and follow you.

Example: Having made my first trip to Haiti, I wish I could say I knew where the Lord was leading us, but I didn’t. I had a strong suspicion that Haiti was part of our future somehow. It would be nice if the Lord would load our next destination into “My Favorite Places” in our GPS and then I could just select it and follow the route to our next place of service. It is probably not going to happen. Instead, He wants us to do what we have done in the past. Place our faith in the One who calls and look for the signs along the way. The route may seem treacherous, but God is with us. He is in the boat sleeping while we are in the same boat worrying. And He asks ‘Why are you worrying.’ He is on the water, walking confidently, while we are struggling to keep our head above water. We are concerned about the waves around us and wondering what in the world we are doing outside of the safety of the boat. And He asks us, “Why did you doubt?” Lord we believe, but help us with our unbelief.

So, the first trip was a stepping stone on the path the Lord had set our feet upon. I was hoping for an epiphany, something I could tell Martie ― OK, this is it. But I still saw men as trees walking. I knew my vision would clear in time and we would be in the place the Lord had intended. In the meantime, we would walk in what we knew and would trust the Lord in what we didn’t know.

Nothing happens until something moves.” ― Albert Einstein

A friend of ours told me the other day, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” I know that sounds like one of those “Duh!” statements.  But it is actually profound in its simplicity.  Accepting and acting when we don’t know is what faith and obedience in God is all about.  But oh, we want to know!

Choosing to step out is an act of our will in obedience to the voice of God. Making a change in the direction we thought we were going in, is a demonstration of our willingness to follow wherever He leads.

There is a song – “Wherever He leads I’ll go” a verse says “I’ll follow my Christ who loves me so – wherever He leads, I’ll go.”  I often wonder what was going on in the life of the person who wrote those great hymns. In this case the writer was, Dr. B.B. McKinney. “Reverend R. S. Jones, McKinney’s friend of many years, who because of ill health had recently returned from missionary service in Brazil. The two men were visiting over dinner one evening when Mr. Jones revealed to Dr. McKinney that his physicians would not allow him to return to South America. When asked about his future plans the missionary said, ‘I don’t know, but wherever He leads I’ll go.’” (PopularHymns.com) And thus a song was born from that conversation.

Following God will always cost you some earthly devotion.

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” – Mark 8:34

In what way has God challenged you in your journey as a Christian? Where does He want to take you?

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: