Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Living In The Presence Of God Who Is There

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,’ even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being.” – Psalm 139:8-13

King David was aware of God’s presence – most of the time. Just like we are.  There were times when he was synchronized in harmony with God and then times when he seemed to forget the he was a man after God’s own heart.  When he surrendered to the temptation to sin.  Chased like an animal by King Saul, David had opportunity to kill him but would not harm “God’s anointed”. Then he would have a man killed, Uriah the Hittite, to cover up David’s sin with Uriah’s wife, Bathsheba.  A man of contradictions. 

David suffered the consequences of his sins, but did not lose his anointing as his predecessor, King Saul, had.  Where King Saul had un unrepentant heart, King David repented before God.

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow …. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” – Psalm 51:1-7, 10-12

Friend the very worst thing we can do is to pretend that we are without sin. The very best thing we can do, when we sin, is to confess and repent before our God who is there. Do not try to hide your sin.  You may fool other people, but you cannot escape the gaze of God on your heart. If you are not aware – if you become insensitive to His presence – if your heart becomes hardened to spiritual matters – you can always trace it back to sin taking root in your heart and you letting it stay there.  It took Nathan the Prophet to confront David over his sin with Bathsheba, but it required David to confess and repent.  The same is true for us – no matter how small – how trivial you might consider your sin – it affects you spiritually. 

Now when David had served God’s purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his ancestors and his body decayed.” — Acts 13:36

I often share this verse when I talk about my life being spared after having two pulmonary embolisms in 2003.  The doctor said I should have died, but I didn’t.  At the time I was reading Purpose Driven Life, Day 40.  I told Martie that I survived because God was not done with me. Until He is, I am not going anywhere and when He is, no one can keep me here.  In 2005 we went on the mission field.  Today is the day my mom was born, she is in heaven now.  I was looking at the copy of the Purpose Driven Life book that I gave her on her birthday in 2003.  She wrote “A gift from Charley to me” on the inside cover.  Then on page 312 – Day 40 – she wrote “God prevailed in Charley’s life.” Oh that I would use that as my battle cry – perhaps even on my headstone after, like David I have fulfilled God’s purpose in my generation and sleep with my ancestors.

How we live our lives is more important than how much life we live.  Quality versus quantity. If you believe there is a heaven and the promise of eternal life there is true, then there is more to your existence than the years you walk this planet. But as we are living and walking we are to live walk circumspectly. Aware of our God-given purpose after we become one of God’s own by faith in Jesus.  Aware that God is present …. “Where can we go from His Spirit? Where can we flee from His presence? If we go up to the heavens, He is there; if we make our beds in the depths, He is there. If we rise on the wings of the dawn, if we settle on the far side of the sea, even there His hand will guide us, His right hand will hold us fast.”

To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.” – Jude 24-25

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: