Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Being Sorry Is The First Step Of Repentance, Not The Last

Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation” – 2 Corinthians 7:10

Being sorry for something I have done is not enough.  Repentance means turning away from my sin, not merely being frustrated and sorry that I continue to sin.  Conviction of sin is a supernatural act of the Spirit of God bringing an awareness of the truth of our sin … all sin separates us from God.  Sin is to the sinner like drugs are to the drug addict.  The Christian who sins knows it’s not good, it’s contrary to his new nature, but something drives him to want to cling to that sin. The Apostle Paul described his struggle with sin this way.

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 1 do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” – Romans 7:14-15

The sinner may ask God to forgive him, but really all he wants is relief from the conviction and consequences.  He has not abandoned what it is that draws him to that sin.  This is a spiritual struggle. (Ephesians 6:12)  That spiritual struggle manifests itself in our flesh – through physical actions and our thought life.  So what can we do? We know that sin is stronger than our will to not sin.  The Apostle Paul gave us the answer. It’s Jesus! The Way and Truth and Life.

I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.” – Romans 7:21-25

The danger for us is our tendency to become complacent about the sins we struggle with.  Even accepting.  That is not the life we have been called to. 

So ….. let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” – Hebrews 12:1-2

Being sorry that I sin is only the first step to repentance. Repentance is living in a new way and I cannot do that without the power of the Spirit of God and a decision to go another way. 

Lot’s wife left Sodom with her husband but she left her heart in Sodom.  Even though she went through the motions of obeying the Lord, her heart was still devoted to what she had left.  God says don’t look back, but often our heart wants to. We cannot life our new life apart from the power and presence of God and with a heart devoted to Him.

No comments: