Friday, September 28, 2018

You Must Be Tight To Choose Right


Yesterday I wrote about the tension between responding correctly to what is important and what is urgent in life.  I thought I would give you some examples today.  Some Biblical and some straight out of everyday life. Not exhaustive by any means, but hopefully they will get you thinking. 

Let’s do the everyday life ones first.

Have you had this happen to you or perhaps you were the one who did it.  You are having a face-to-face conversation with someone.  Their cellphone rings (phone call) or dings (text alert – Text message – Messenger – Email - Facebook -Snapchat – Twitter) so they stop talking to you and turn their attention to their phone.  How many phone calls or texts that you receive everyday are emergencies that must be tended to immediately? Yeh, that’s what I thought – me too – nada – zip.  So why is what comes across your phone so important that you are willing to be disrespectful to the person you are talking to in order to check your phone?  As a culture we have decided that any time our phone signals us – it is important and urgent.  

When my phone goes off I ignore it.  If it persists, I check to see if it is an emergency.  And then, if not – I ignore it – it can wait. I have noticed that when I do not look – the people with me ask – “Are you going to get that?”  When I had an office, I had a rule.  Anyone I was talking to was THE most important person in my work world at that moment – except my boss.  If someone interrupted I would ask them to come back later and continue my conversation.  Just because you have something to say does not mean that the world needs to stop to hear it.  

Or.  You believe that the Lord is calling you to some service that will require you to leave your job, lower your income, put your retirement in jeopardy, maybe impact your children’s ability to fund college.  You are faced with a significant step of faith.  Others have confirmed that they believe it’s God – you are convinced – but what is most important?  How does that fit into you life’s priorities? Do you put those things at risk?  Is that irresponsible? Would God really ask you to do that?  Doesn’t He love you and your family?  Would He ask you to lay those things down for Him?  Your hopes and dreams?  How important is it to obey God’s leading?  How important is your children’s future? Is it possible that there is a greater good? Is it possible to do both? It is not always a question of choosing one over the other.  In fact most Christians are not asked to do those things.  But, we are all asked to not prefer them over obedience to God – whatever He might ask us to do.  

It is not as simple as putting one of them in the important or unimportant box.  They are both important – but which one is more important?  Everyday we are faced with choices – the good or the best.  God does not often ask us to abandon our job or surrender our income to serve Him.  But He might and has for some.  When Jesus asked Peter if Peter loved Jesus more than “these”  (John 21) What or who were the “these”?  It doesn’t matter. Or shouldn’t.  Jesus wanted to know where Peter’s heart’s devotion was.  Recall Peter had denied Jesus three times before men to protect himself.  Do you love God more “these”?  If you are a Christian, then the world and the things of the world are not urgent or important compared to the things of God.  

Ok now a Biblical example.  

(Luke 9:59-62) “To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” And Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”  Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” 

How important is it for you to attend your father’s funeral?  Pretty important.  So how important is it to obey God in relation to your father’s funeral?  There is an urgency about serving God and walking in obedience to His will.  Not to mention the vitality of its importance.  For these two men, they had divided hearts.  God’s expectation is the we love Him with our whole heart. So what would you do when your family doesn’t understand why you didn’t care enough to attend the funeral?  Would your family’s not understanding and perhaps rejection be reason enough to say “no” to God and “yes” to your family?  Maybe that guy was an only son or child.  We are not given the back-story.  The funeral is certainly not unimportant – but when compared to obeying the Creator God, perhaps the funeral is less important than he wanted to accept.  Tough! By the way, we do not know what either of the men chose to do.  Perhaps like the rich young ruler, they went away unable to re-prioritize their lives for God.  When you read the verse “Choose this day whom you will serve.”, what do you think the context of the choice is? We tend to trivialize the choices we face.  Good versus evil – relatively easy.  Good versus Better versus Best, not so easy.  But that is the way it is when faced with life and following Jesus.  

You can thank me later for stirring this up.  People talk to me often about their struggling with choices between the spiritual and natural.  When I say “Trust God” (Proverbs 3:5-6) I get the look like, “That was not much help!”  It is the best I can do.  Finding balance between important and not as important is a faith challenge.  Oh, and faith is an intangible … “the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1) Your ability to do what you should is dependent upon the quality of your relationship with the Lord. 

And …  If you’re not tight – you probably won’t choose right.  CHARLEY

No comments: