Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Trusting God - Even When Things Don't Seem To Be Going Your Way



I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. —Genesis 9:13

{CHAMBERS} “Waiting for God to act is fleshly unbelief. It means that I have no faith in Him. I wait for Him to do something in me so I may trust in that. But God won’t do it, because that is not the basis of the God-and-man relationship. Man must go beyond the physical body and feelings in his covenant with God, just as God goes beyond Himself in reaching out with His covenant to man. It is a question of faith in God— a very rare thing. We only have faith in our feelings. I don’t believe God until He puts something tangible in my hand, so that I know I have it. Then I say, “Now I believe.” There is no faith exhibited in that. God says, “Look to Me, and be saved…” (Isaiah 45:22). When I have really transacted business with God on the basis of His covenant, letting everything else go, there is no sense of personal achievement— no human ingredient in it at all. Instead, there is a complete overwhelming sense of being brought into union with God, and my life is transformed and radiates peace and joy.”

{ELGIN}  You may have heard the saying “Those who can’t do, teach.” Well, that may be true for some, but there are many teachers who are masters at their discipline and have chosen to teach others in that discipline, communicating their skills and knowledge they have gained  in “the real world” in the classroom.  In the same way, I could not write the words that I do, had I not experienced what I write about.  That is the nature of discipleship.  I can study books that tell me about flying, but unless I actually have flown, it’s all hypothetical.  So …. As I read Chambers this morning … I was reminded of our faith journey.  God has called Martie and me to a life that is unfettered from conventional wisdom.  In other words, we do things that don’t make sense to “reasonable-rational” men … that is if you want a secure retirement and to live the American dream.  Nothing wrong with those things .. that is unless they are the source of your saying “no” to God.  If that is the case, they are stumbling blocks and should be tossed aside.

The most important question for a Christian to answer is .. “Do I trust God?”  or “Do I trust something else .. like my 401K, more?”  Right now we are in Texas.  I left a good job … with no guarantee that I would have enough money to pay my bills in a month. We lost our health insurance … with no assurance that Medicare would be sufficient to meet our health needs.  We left our family .. again … with no assurance that we would ever enjoy the family dynamics that all families look forward to.  We are living in a travel trailer that rocks as the wind whistles around it.  But wait .. there is more!  We came to Texas because God said “Go”.  The people here are wondering where the volunteers are.  As if it’s the volunteers that will “save the day”.  They seem to be waiting for us to get started … and some days .. we are waiting for the same thing … It is in that context that I read Chambers this morning … and heard the Lord ask me, “Do you trust Me?  There is a song by Mercy Me, “Even If”.  “They say sometimes you win some Sometimes you lose some. And right now, right now I'm losing bad. I've stood on this stage night after night (written these BLOGS day after day) Reminding the broken it'll be alright. But right now, oh right now I just can't It's easy to sing (write) When there's nothing to bring me down But what will I say When I'm held to the flame Like I am right now. I know You're able and I know You can Save through the fire with Your mighty hand But even if You don't My hope is You alone.”

Abraham followed God and did not know where he was going.  He trusted God without seeing.  Life is like that.  We should not presume that we can get ahead of God. Martie and I are in the center of His will for us, of that we are confident.  We are doing what He called us to do.  Worldly consequences are not the measure of the “rightness” of the call.  If things don’t seem to be going the way you thought they would … will you still follow God and walk in obedience to what you “do” know? People asked Noah where the rain was.  God was holding it back. We don’t know what will happen tomorrow, but we must be obedient to what we know today.  And when we are asked … will volunteers come … our answer will be “Bondye Konnen” – God Knows.  Si Bondye vle – God willing, they will come – or God will provide in some other way.  But even if they don’t, right now, we must rest in our knowledge of God’s faithfulness.

I often use Proverbs 3:5-6 as an encouragement .. but wanted to share the wisdom that is wrapped around those verses … (Proverbs 3:1-8) “…. do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you;  bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones." 

No comments: