Thursday, August 11, 2016

Spending Time With The Lord Is Not Mysterious It Is Miraculous

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. And Elisha…saw him no more. —2 Kings 2:11-12
 
“It is not wrong for you to depend on your “Elijah” for as long as God gives him to you. But remember that the time will come when he must leave and will no longer be your guide and your leader, because God does not intend for him to stay. Even the thought of that causes you to say, “I cannot continue without my ‘Elijah.’ ” Yet God says you must continue.” CHAMBERS
 
It’s OK to have a favorite preacher, teacher, pastor, or even devotional writer.  Their teaching may inspire you, encourage you, comfort you. But, that should not and must not be a substitute for personal worship, prayer and study.  Their words may illuminate, but they cannot give life.  Only God can do that.  Elisha followed Elijah until the Lord carried Elijah away (1 Kings 19, 2 Kings 2)  But Elisha had his own call on his life to follow and serve God.  It required that Elisha have a personal relationship with God.  In a similar way, each of us must take up our mantle and walk out our faith on our own.  Not in isolation from others or from their influence, but the root of our relationship with God must be personal, private, intimate with the Him.  Our lives should be patterned after Jesus’ life.  How He related to others and how He related to the Father.  (By the way, did you know that the convention used to be that when you referred to God or Jesus, the pronouns are also capitalized?)
 
So what does your day and week look like?  Have you set aside time when you spend it with the Lord?  There is nothing mysterious about that time, but there is something miraculous about it.  Is it your desire to be able to stand in the times of trouble and hardship?  You can’t and won’t do that solely in the power of the words of other men and women.  But you can and will in the power of the word of the Lord.  Spend time alone with God … it’s the best investment you will ever make.  CHARLEY
 
In The Garden
 
“I come to the garden alone While the dew is still on the roses  
And the voice I hear falling on my ear  The Son of God discloses.
 
He speaks, and the sound of His voice,  Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,  
And the melody that He gave to me  Within my heart is ringing.
 
I'd stay in the garden with Him Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe His voice to me is calling.
 
And He walks with me, and He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.”

No comments: