Thursday, July 28, 2016

Faith In The Absence Of Obedience Is Hidden In You

My Utmost For His Highest
 
He made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side… —Mark 6:45
 
“What is my vision of God’s purpose for me? Whatever it may be, His purpose is for me to depend on Him and on His power now. If I can stay calm, faithful, and unconfused while in the middle of the turmoil of life, the goal of the purpose of God is being accomplished in me. God is not working toward a particular finish— His purpose is the process itself. What He desires for me is that I see “Him walking on the sea” with no shore, no success, nor goal in sight, but simply having the absolute certainty that everything is all right because I see “Him walking on the sea” (Mark 6:49). It is the process, not the outcome, that is glorifying to God. […] God’s purpose is to enable me to see that He can walk on the storms of my life right now. […] if we realize that moment-by-moment obedience is the goal, then each moment as it comes is precious.” CHAMBERS
 
What does God expect from me?  I mean what is my part in this new life?  Jesus saved me from my sin.  The Holy Spirit helps me live my new life.  The Word of God provides spiritual instruction so I know how to live my new life.  So what does God expect from me?  Unqualified obedience.  You are thinking, OK, here we go, again.  When James wrote “Faith without works is dead” (James 2:17)  It does no good to believe something is true if you don’t act on it.  The first act of obedience was when you were born again.  You had to do something, didn’t you.  When you couple your faith with obedience, there is a spiritual dynamic that takes place.  A harmony between the two.  It is God glorifying and heavenly purpose fulfilling. 
 
And when obedience is absent .. isn’t that an interesting way to describe disobedience?  Almost makes disobedience seem palatable.   When obedience is absent … the result is the same as if we had no faith at all .. as if faith is absent.  Why? Because God’s purpose is not fulfilled in you when you are disobedient .. or might I say when you sin.  Our natural response toward God as a Christian is good works .. obedience … (Ephesians 2:10) “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  What is natural in our old nature is unnatural in our new nature.  What is natural in our new nature is unnatural in our old nature.  It’s natural to obey God in our new nature and natural to disobey God in our old nature.  And it’s really not all that hard to know which nature is dominating us at any given moment.   Admitting it when it is disobedience is another story.  CHARLEY

No comments: