Friday, December 4, 2015

How To Stay Off The Path To Spiritual Downfall

My Utmost For His Highest
 
To him who overcomes… —Revelation 2:7
 
“Anything that does not strengthen me morally is the enemy of virtue within me. Whether I overcome, thereby producing virtue, depends on the level of moral excellence in my life. But we must fight to be moral. Morality does not happen by accident; moral virtue is acquired. And spiritually it is also the same. Jesus said, “In the world you will have tribulation…” (John 16:33). This means that anything which is not spiritual leads to my downfall. Jesus went on to say, “…but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” I must learn to fight against and overcome the things that come against me, and in that way produce the balance of holiness. Then it becomes a delight to meet opposition. Holiness is the balance between my nature and the law of God as expressed in Jesus Christ.” CHAMBERS
 
(Philippians 4:5-9)   “Let your gentleness be evident to all. … Do not be anxious about anything… And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. …. whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned … put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”
 
What leads to our spiritual downfall … it starts and ends with us.  Be careful that you don’t accept the idea that you can live in the world, enjoy what it has to offer, and there not be a negative effect on you spiritually.  You are in a battle.  The things of this world will neutralize your spiritual life and will drive a wedge in your relationship with the Lord.  This country struggles with abortion, which for the most part is a function of the acceptance and even promotion of an immoral lifestyle.  Sexuality is promoted everywhere … in schools, in entertainment, on the internet … the culture’s answer is “more of the same”.  The message is, immorality is OK, you decide for yourself what is right and what is wrong. In Romans 7, Paul wrote about the futility of trying to resist in his own strength and finally he cries out “Who will save me from this body of death!”  We see terrible acts of violence and wonder why .. is it the guns? Then we fill the hours on television with violence … the most popular television is about violence and death, we fill our children’s heads with violence in computer games .. numbing them to the  reality of what violence really is …. we flock to movies that promote violence ….
 
Our culture is filled with that which is counter to the Gospel.  And you face that every day.  Friend, resistance is not futile, if you are using the right weapons … when it gets down to it here it what you need to do .. .every day … (Ephesians 6:12-13)  “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”
 
Since returning from Haiti, I have been shocked at how spiritually dark the United States has become.  I knew that belief in Biblical values was eroding, but I did not know that it has accelerated.  So I find myself in a different culture and very aware that I am an alien in this land.  That my culture .. my beliefs .. are based upon a set of principles that were once embraced but now are rejected by most .. at minimum be the ones who make the rules … and at most by the majority of the people in this country.  The problem is that we don’t mind embracing the culture so long as it does not affect us negatively … sin without consequence.  There is always a consequence .. but there is also forgiveness and restoration if we will only confess and repent. (2 Chronicles 7:14)  “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” ELGIN
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: