Tuesday, September 8, 2020

My Role In This World

“Then Pilate entered the Praetorium again, called Jesus, and said to Him, ‘Are You the King of the Jews?’ Jesus answered him, ‘Are you speaking for yourself about this, or did others tell you this concerning Me?’ Pilate answered, ‘Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have delivered You to me. What have You done?’ Jesus answered, ‘My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here.’ Pilate therefore said to Him, ‘Are You a king then?’ Jesus answered, ‘You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.’” —John 18:33-37

I was thinking about the election that is coming up. Frankly I have stopped watching the news because all sides have become so caustic toward each other and there doesn’t seem to be any new-news. But .. that got me to thinking about how Christians fit in all of this – not just in the United States, but wherever Christians might be.

The Jews were looking for a warrior Messiah who would free them from oppression.  Many doubted that Jesus was that person, but I would guess that some if not many hoped He would be.  What a disappointment.  Jesus was crucified and the Romans continued with their oppression.  Nothing changed.  I have been thinking about the United States and its future. Things seem to be getting “darker” not “lighter”. The works of the flesh, that which comes naturally from the heart of sinful man, are running rampant – almost as if they have been unleashed.

“Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” – Galatians 5:19-21

So, as a Christian, what is my role in all of this. Well, simply put, my role is to be salt and light. To point the world to Jesus by the way I live my life. Should I vote? Of course. But even my voting should reflect my faith and glorify God. We must remember that we are voting for people who represent the interests of all of the people, not just Christians.  If the majority of the people are not Christians, and they are not, then their interests and goals, even though they might overlap some, are different from Christians in the main.

Jesus did not come to overthrow the natural kingdoms but to establish an eternal, spiritual kingdom. And He did.  And we are citizens in that kingdom.  We have a dual citizenship if you will. 

For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.” –  Philippians 3:18-21

My role – our role, as Christians, is to be ambassadors of King Jesus. To reflect His values in how we live and how we relate to the natural world that we live in.  The lines between the two kingdoms often become blurred – but not because they have somehow shifted, but because we too often forget who our allegiance is to. Our love for God and devotion to our faith wains as we struggle to find balance between the two worlds that we live in.  What is my role in this natural world? It is certainly not to embrace sin and disgrace the One who saved me.  My role is to show the world Jesus.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: