Friday, September 18, 2020

If You Are Of The Way You Should Walk This Way

“See then that you walk circumspectly (carefully), not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation (unrestrained indulgence in physical pleasures); but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God” —Ephesians 5:15-21

Christians were referred to as people of the Way twice in the New Testament; Acts 9:2 (Paul, then Saul, as he pursued Christians) and Acts 24:14 (Paul before Felix as he defended them). An interesting description of Christians – people who professed faith in Jesus as that Messiah.  And curious that is it used with reference to the same man – before and after his personal encounter with Jesus.  What a transformation. And yet, it is no more significant than what happened in my life and your life, if you are a Christian. Paul, then Saul, persecuted Christians – had them imprisoned, even put to death. And yet, that is not what he is remembered for today.  He was still feared and doubted by those who knew him by reputation before his conversion.  But, when Believers saw the change in him – it was undeniable. Spiritual transformation is inexplicable in the natural. Hearts are changed by faith, supernaturally. Lives are inexplicably altered – turned toward God and away from the world. It is as if you spoke one language one day and you spoke a different language the next. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I can remember when my mom was born again.  As one of the four older children, who knew her propensity for angry outbursts all too well, like the other three, I doubted that she was a different person. But over time it became clear to us that  the old mom was gone. That is not to say that she was perfect  - without flaw – she still had feet of clay, but the change in her was undeniable. Can you identify with that in your life? Do you remember what your life was like before your rebirth? I am certain that Paul never forgot what he had done to so many Christ followers. I am certain that there were people who were ready to remind him. There are people like that in your life today.  I was born again in September of 1976. 54 years ago. And yet, I still remember who I was before that day. I regret the years I wasted, but I don’t dwell on it. I certainly don’t yearn for those days. But I do remember how empty they were and how I tried to fill them with whatever the world had to offer. Never finding contentment. Never finding lasting satisfaction. Many people considered me to be a good person, but I was lost – searching and never finding. And then I met Jesus along the way. The verses in Ephesians 5 reminded me of who I was then and who I am now. The world will remind you of who you were then – but the Spirit will remind you of whose you are now!

I am reminded of a quote by John Newton. “I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am.” Recall John Newton was the captain of a slave ship and after his conversion wrote Amazing Grace. “I once was lost but now I am found.  I was blind, but now I see.” Just like Paul. Just like mom. Just like me! Take time to praise God for your new life in Christ. And then remember to walk in the Way carefully with your eyes fixed on Jesus who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. (John 14:6)

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: