Thursday, September 17, 2020

All God Wants Is Our Yes

“You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.  You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.” —Psalm 51:16-17

I have had a conversation with three different people on three different days about the same topic. Whenever that happens – I perk up mentally and spiritually. It is at those times that I realize that the Lord is speaking – sometimes through me but most often to me.  The conversations had to do with being used by God for His purposes.  When I share what the Lord has done through Martie and me – it may sound as if I am boasting. And in a way, I suppose I am.  But I am not boasting about what I have done.

As the Scriptures say, ‘If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord’.” – 2 Corinthians 10:17

That was the context of the conversation. That what the Lord calls us to do, we are able to do because of His provision. My part, your part, is but to say “yes” to His call. One of the people I serve with said that I was “one of a kind”. He was referring to my abilities. Flattering as that may seem, to me it is humbling. I know that I have feet of clay like everyone else. I know that God has shaped me – crafted me for the work that He puts in front of me. My part is to yield to His call and to trust in His provision. God never asks me or you to do something that does not require faith and trust in Him to accomplish.  I remember some years ago, I was taking one of my granddaughters on a ride on a Sea-Doo jet ski. She was maybe 6.  Sitting in front of me, she pushed my hand away from the throttle and said “I can do it” and nearly threw me off the jet ski.  That would not have had a good outcome. That is how we are many times as we live this new life and serve the Lord. We become prideful – full of ourselves and believe that its us and not the Lord at work. That we can do it – we don’t need any help – even from God.

The thing about faith and following is that what God asks us to do is not nearly so important as who we trust in to do what He asks us to do.  We glorify God through our obedience to whatever He puts in our hand to do. Men marvel at the what of our calling. Somehow thinking that if God calls you to do big things that you are somehow more significant than someone who never leaves their neighborhood.

Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins. Jesus called his disciples to him and said, ‘I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.’” – Mark 12:41-44

Having a heart devoted to God. Trusting in Him and not ourselves. I was speaking with another person who is grappling with a decision to follow God’s leading. That person is struggling with having assurance that they will have enough money to live on. I get that. But consider the widow who gave all she had trusting in God’s provision.  It is one thing to speak about faith and another to act on that faith.  Many times what we do as followers of Jesus makes no sense to a world that considers itself the source of all sensibility.  So I asked my friend, “Do you believe that God is calling you to do this?”  He said, “Yes.” So the only thing left to do is for him to yield his heart to it and step out in faith. Easy to say but sometimes terrifying when it is you standing in the lion’s den.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” – Hebrews 11:1

I am often tempted to keep writing – because there is so much to write about. But I sill stop here.  My goal is to encourage you to trust God and not use the world’s measure of success and sensibility as your guide in this life.  In other words, to live by faith with faith in every aspect of your life. You won’t be sorry but you will be challenged.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: