Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Why Is The Spirit Of God Important

“So he [an angel] said to me [Zechariah], “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel [the leader of the tribe of Judah at the time of their return from captivity in Babylon]: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.’” – Zechariah 4:6

I am an observer of people. I think most of us are.  I am not one who sits on a bench in the mall to watch people walk by. I observe the people that I meet every day to discern the condition and motivation of their hearts.  I listen to what people say and what they don’t say.  One thing that I have noticed is the deafening silence among Christians when it comes to the presence and significance of the Holy Spirit in their lives.  The angel told Zechariah, the prophet, to tell Zerubbabel, the leader, to not forget that what God had tasked him to do – built the temple – could only be accomplished by the power of the Spirit of God – not by the effort of men.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13

I would venture to say that most if not all Christians are familiar with that verse. And, no doubt, they would nod their heads in agreement that it is true.  But I doubt that they understand the implications.  That being that all things are, well, all things.  Every aspect of our lives, not just the hard things.  Our new life in Christ is spiritual in its essence.  It is not merely a ticket in our pocket that says “Free Pass Into Heaven”. So we can continue to live and trust in ourselves but everything that is too hard then we scurry off to God asking for relief.

For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” – Romans 8:13

The Spirit enables our new life and His presence is essential to it.  Ephesians 1 says God sealed us with His Spirit. The Spirit of God is in each of us.

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?” – 1 Corinthians 6:19

It is so easy to do something that God has called you to and quickly, but not intentionally, lose sight of the importance of the Spirit of God in the accomplishment.  Apart from God’s Spirit being active in what I do in disaster relief, I am nothing more than a benevolent contractor. It is merely a job that does not pay very well. But it is so much more than that! I see God at work, bringing the impossible into the realm of possibility. Not by might, nor by power, but by the Spirit.  Hallelujah! Amen!

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: