Monday, December 23, 2019

God Calls, Prepares, And Then Sends

God never sends us without preparation. He never prepares apart from His calling. Each sending builds upon the previous. Sometimes Christians get ahead of themselves. They don’t wait for the call or they don’t wait for the preparation ― they just go.

It is a mistake to try to do something for God without God.

Acting solely in the power of your flesh is a mistake. If you do, you have underestimated the reality of the powers of the air and principalities at work around you. My last job in the Army required that I review all the messages that came to our unit. On one particular day I read a message that announced a new, early separation program. The Army was downsizing after the Gulf War. It was then that I heard a voice. It was not an audible voice, more like an impression, but not. What I heard was, “You are sacrificing your family for success in the Army. Choose your family and leave the Army.” I had 17 ½ years in the Army. 2 ½ years away from retirement. 

Who would do that? Yet, I knew it was God and I knew what I must do. I spoke to Martie and shared with her what I believed God was saying to me. She replied “I agree. I believe we should leave the Army, too.” To bring this into context, I was up for a promotion to Lt. Colonel and was already identified to go to U.S. Space Command to serve in a Lt. Colonel position, a Joint assignment. I was on my way, succeeding, as far as the Army and the world were concerned. But I was failing as far as God was concerned.

Both Martie and I have learned how important it is that in whatever we did as husband and wife we must be in spiritual agreement.

“How can two walk together, unless they are agreed?” ― Amos 3:3

We have committed to leave our old life behind and follow Him wherever He leads. I used to be an Army Officer. I used to be a helicopter pilot. I used to be an Operations Research and Systems Engineer. I used to be a lot of things. Now I am something of greater worth, a dedicated servant of Jesus Christ. We don't know where the Lord will lead us in the days ahead. We never expected to be where we are now or where He has sent us in the past, but we do know that we are where God wants us to be today, doing what He wants us to do now. He had prepared us then and is yet preparing us for His purposes. Martie asked me if I regretted leaving the Army, because she knows how much I loved it.  I told her, “No, I don’t regret it, but I do miss it.” .  I gladly laid my Army career at the feet of Jesus. Had I not, I would not be typing these words at this very moment.

A sacrifice is not a sacrifice if it doesn’t cost you something.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man (or woman) will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.” – Matthew 16:24-25

Following God’s call will always require you to abandon something. What are some aspects of your life that God’s required you to lay aside. Discontentment is when what once brought you joy becomes drudgery.  God often uses discontentment (lack of joy) to prepare you to go. I call it a holy discontent.  Have you ever heard the phrase, “They are never satisfied.” I think the lack of satisfaction is the result of a lack of obedience to God. We can try to find fulfillment in many things other than God, but whatever we find will never be enough – it will never satisfy the hunger that drives us.

Preparation is not always pleasant. The reason something is happening is not always clear when it happens. If you live your new life depending on pleasant circumstances to be the proof that you are in the center of God’ will, you are in for a disappointment and are sure to be disillusioned. 

Consider how God prepared Joseph for His purpose. On the face of it, Joseph traveled a strange and difficult journey considering he was someone for whom God had a purpose. God gifted Joseph with discernment and wisdom. Recall that Joseph was sold by his brothers into slavery because they were jealous of him. He rose to prominence as a slave only to be falsely accused and thrown into prison. He again rose into prominence as a prisoner and was called to Pharaoh’s court. He rose into prominence once again and at that point, fulfilled his purpose. When he did finally face his brothers, this is what he said to them.

Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God? But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.” ― Genesis 50:19-20

While serving in the midst of the devastation brought on by Hurricane Katrina, a volunteer asked me, “Do you like being in Mississippi?”  I thought for a moment and answered, “There is nothing better than being in the center of God’s will. Geography has nothing to do with it. I love being in Mississippi!” I can’t tell you how many times that I have shared that principle with others as an encouragement to say “yes” to God. God had prepared us for Katina – Haiti – Harvey, although we did not see it as preparation at the time.  What has He prepared you to do – what is He preparing you to do next? Live a life of anticipation – always looking for the next God-purposed opportunity.  And when it comes – embrace it by faith.  It will most likely cost you something but it will most certainly be for the glory of God and the good of others.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: