Monday, June 3, 2019

Why Do We Worry About How We Look To Other People?

“Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.” – John 12:42-43

How important is it for people to be impressed with your appearance? I have to catch myself when I am picking out a shirt to wear.  I have a couple that are actually nice shirts – they have buttons and everything! But I find myself thinking, “What will people think of me if I wear it?” Sounds ridiculous when I type the words. Why would I be concerned with the opinion of someone I don’t even know?  Why would I think that those I do know would think poorly of me for wearing my Hawaiian shirt? The answer is – pride and fear of rejection.  It is my old nemesis, my natural self – my flesh.

Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.”  – Matthew 23:24-26

We worry about things that have no eternal consequence, and miss those that do.  We are worried about how we look and what others think of us.  So much so that we will even sin against God to gain the favor of others.  Why? Because we lack spiritual perspective.  Our lives are supposed to reflect Jesus not the world.  Our concern is supposed to be obedience to the will of the Father and not the praise of men (and women) for how we look and our position in the world. 

Deciding which shirt I wear may seem inconsequential, but it points to something of greater consequence.  It reveals where my focus and devotion lies. If I do what honors God, then I do not have to worry about pleasing others.  I do not have to worry about being rejected because I am not good enough in the eyes of men.  I am a child of God.

It is not the outside that matters, it is the inside that is important.  What are you worried about?

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16

No comments: