Friday, June 7, 2019

Managing Your Expectations

“Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.” – James 3:10-12

The principle here is that what comes out reflects the nature of the source. It is the same with the affairs of this world.  Our legal system is primarily a reflection of our culture and not the Word of God. The following is an excerpt from Market Faith Ministries, The Christian Worldview Basis for the Rule of Law, 2014.

Over the last century or so, the naturalistic worldview has become increasingly prominent in American culture. In fact, it now dominates all of the major institutions of society. Naturalism is the belief that there is no such thing as a supernatural reality – that is, there is no God to give man any moral guidance. Based on this belief, human beings must create their own morality.

The underlying foundation of a naturalistic understanding of law is relativism. Since there is no absolute authority in existence, every law exists relative to the whims or desires of the humans who make and interpret them. Thus, even a constitutional document is “interpretable” based on the beliefs of those with the power to do interpretation. The idea of a document based on absolute principles or original intent is not part of the equation.”

As Christians our hope is that our government, to include our justice system would have as its foundation the Word of God. That is true in part, but with each passing year the influence of the Word is increasingly diluted.  New cultural norms have taken their place. When we know what is right, but see something else at work, the temptation is to despair. Like the sons of Issachar, who understood the times (1 Chronicles 12:32) we must have a clear understanding of the times we live in.  Might God intervene on our behalf to avert some injustice that is now called justice? Yes, but perhaps not.  The question is, if God does not intervene, will we still trust His sovereignty?  Will we still believe….

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” – Romans 8:28

Do we still believe….

God “is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us” – Ephesians 3:20

You can expect to meet disappointments in this life.  Times when you would like for God to show up when we want Him to, but He seems to be somewhere else, or worse, not interested in our trouble. Neither is true, but it may still feel like they are. This was the cry of the Psalmist and it could well be ours today.  The Word of God is eternal and applies to all generations.

Psalm 43

Vindicate me, O God, And plead my cause against an ungodly nation; Oh, deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man!

For You are the God of my strength; Why do You cast me off?

Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? Oh, send out Your light and Your truth!

Let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill And to Your tabernacle.

Then I will go to the altar of God, To God my exceeding joy; And on the harp I will praise You, O God, my God.

Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him,

The help of my countenance and my God.”

No comments: