Tuesday, June 18, 2019

It's Not Odd, It's God - Living Your New Life With Your Spiritual Eyes Open

We know that all things work together for good to those who love God…” — Romans 8:28

Some years ago, we met a man to discuss an aspect of the men’s ministry we were involved in.  In response to a description of a particular circumstance he said “That’s not odd, that’s God.”  I love the English language because of its versatility in connecting words in a memorable way.  What he said as obviously stuck with me, not just because odd and God rhyme, but because it communicates a truth that I have experienced over and over in life.  It’s hard to fathom a God who is so big, and yet He is willing to influence circumstances the way he does.  I am amazed when something happens that is beyond probability.  I could not have orchestrated the circumstances, but I know that God did.  If it happens once you might call it a fluke. Perhaps even two or three times, but God-caused events have been happening in our lives since the day that we said “Yes Lord to Your will and to Your way.”  Obedience opens a door of new experiences and possibilities, that sadly,  will remain hidden as long as you choose yourself and not God.

Often I will meet someone and immediately the thought rises, “God has a reason for this .. but it is not yet revealed.” And then sometime later I discover why we met, it was for kingdom purposes. If you think about it, why should we be surprised?  Every believer has the Spirit of God in them.  The same Spirit.  The Father uses the Holy Spirit combined with the faith of His children to accomplish His purposes on this earth.   A simple example.  (I have hundreds that I could share) I received an email from a friend asking if I could connect them to a Doctor I know who lives and serves in Jeremie, Haiti.  I told her I would.  The next Saturday we decided to take a drive to see the fall colors in the trees in a State park.  On the way, we stopped at a restaurant to eat lunch.  In the middle of somewhere.  Well, who should walk into the restaurant with a group of her friends but the friend who asked about the Doctor.  Highly improbable.  Spiritually affirming.  But it was not odd, it was God. 

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.” – Ephesians 1:18-21

Christian, God is at work all around you.  Be on the lookout.  Dr. Henry Blackaby said that God is at work all around us, and when you see Him working, join Him.  But to see Him you must have spiritual vision. I am reminded of Elisha’s servant.

And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, ‘Alas, my master! What shall we do?’ So he answered, ‘Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.’ And Elisha prayed, and said, ‘Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.’ Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.” – 2 Kings 6:15-17

When you allow the Spirit of God to open your eyes, you will be amazed at what you see.



   

No comments: