Thursday, February 22, 2018

What Do You Do When Your Friend Wants To Quit



Be still, and know that I am God… —Psalm 46:10

{CHAMBERS} “Perseverance is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with absolute assurance and certainty that what we are looking for is going to happen. Perseverance means more than just hanging on, which may be only exposing our fear of letting go and falling. […] Our greatest fear is not that we will be damned, but that somehow Jesus Christ will be defeated. Also, our fear is that the very things our Lord stood for— love, justice, forgiveness, and kindness among men— will not win out in the end and will represent an unattainable goal for us. […] If our hopes seem to be experiencing disappointment right now, it simply means that they are being purified. […] But one of the greatest stresses in life is the stress of waiting for God. […] Continue to persevere spiritually.”


{ELGIN} When I read Chamber’s devotion this morning, a memory flashed across my mind.  I was in the Armor Officer Basic Course at Fort Knox, Kentucky.  A brand new second lieutenant.  We were taking a physical fitness test.  We had to pass the test or risk being washed out – sent home – at minimum – being shamed in front of our peers.  Pride can be a great motivator, can’t it? Pride can cause us to do right and to do wrong.  There was not a chance that I would not pass … that was not my worry.  We had to run 2 miles around a quarter mile track – 8 laps (I took math in college!) As I was running I “lapped” a friend of mine.  He was not in great shape … and was struggling.  Then he stopped and started walking.  He had decided that it was just too hard .. he couldn’t do it … or more correctly .. he wouldn’t do it.  When you are in the midst of the struggle sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

I slowed my pace and started encouraging him to not stop .... to finish the race. Just start running .. even if it’s slow.  I could see the look of defeat on his face.  But, he did start running again after some coaxing.  That is when the evaluators started calling out to me to “leave him” and finish.  You see, if you get a high enough score on the test, that is to your benefit in the school standing.  I didn’t do that, we finished the run together.  Why am I sharing this with you?  Not so you think me a hero … Jesus is the only hero in this story.  No, there are two points.  First … we, all, will encounter hardship and want to give up .. maybe even turn our back on God … don’t do that.  We must persevere.  (James 1:2-4) “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”  When you feel like you can’t go on .. stop looking at your own weakness and look to God’s strength.  (2 Corinthians 12:9) “And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

The second point.  When you encounter someone who needs help and encouragement in the faith, don’t just run by them because it will be inconvenient for you to stop.  (John 15:13) Jesus talked about laying down your life.  What does that look like.  Good question .. what we lay down is different for all of us… but why we lay it down .. the forgoing of something that will benefit us in favor of someone else is the same. Just like Jesus!

No comments: