Wednesday, February 14, 2018

To Hear God, You Must Be Ready And Willing To Listen



Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. —Matthew 10:27

{CHAMBERS}  “Sometimes God puts us through the experience and discipline of darkness to teach us to hear and obey Him. […] Are you in the dark right now in your circumstances, or in your life with God? If so, then remain quiet. If you open your mouth in the dark, you will speak while in the wrong mood— darkness is the time to listen. Don’t talk to other people about it; don’t read books to find out the reason for the darkness; just listen and obey. If you talk to other people, you cannot hear what God is saying. […] …. once you hear Him, He gives you the gift of humiliation, which brings a softness of heart— a gift that will always cause you to listen to God now.”

{ELGIN}  It is a difficult thing at times .. hearing God speak.  As I get older, I have noticed that I don’t hear as well when there are competing noises around me.  I used to be able to single out a voice or sound amidst the din with no problem, not so much anymore.  That is the way it is with hearing God.  A lot of competing sounds and life events demanding our attention.  You can read about Jesus getting away to spend time, alone, with His Father.  I don’t know if I will ever appreciate that privilege to the depth it deserves while I walk this earth.  Just imagine being able to communicate with the creator of the universe.  Can you imagine having the private cell phone number of the president or some other significant world figure?  Why would they give you the time of day.  Why would they care to talk with you at all?  What could you have to say that would matter to them? And yet, Jesus has torn the veil and given us access to our Father in heaven.  God, the Father, loves us.  Loves us enough to send Jesus for us. And we can talk to Him anytime, anywhere.  (1 Peter 5:7) “Cast all your cares on Him, because He cares for us.”  The really cool thing is that God does not just want to listen, He wants to, and does, speak to us. The question is, are you ready and willing to hear Him?  Sometimes He whispers and sometimes He shouts. But on every occasion, He loves and wants the eternal best for your life.  As I type, a song came to mind … “In The Garden” “ I come to the garden alone, While the dew is still on the roses, And the voice I hear, falling on my ear, The Son of God discloses. … He speaks, and the sound of His voice, Is so sweet the birds hush their singing, And the melody that He gave to me, Within my heart is ringing. And He walks with me, and He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own, And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.”  I wonder what was going on in Charles Miles’ life when he penned the words to this song. He said, "It is as a writer of gospel songs I am proud to be known, for in that way I may be of the most use to my Master, whom I serve willingly although not as efficiently as is my desire". He wrote at least 398 songs, and the music to at least 8 more.

Jesus asked the question (Luke 6:46) “Why do you call Me, Lord, Lord, but don’t do what I say?”  Take time to listen to God and then … obey what He tells you.  And in that way, you will discover the way you can be of the most use to the Master.

No comments: