Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Love Of God Is Greater Far Than Tongue Or Pen Can Ever Tell



…add to your…brotherly kindness love. —2 Peter 1:5, 7

{CHAMBERS} “Love is an indefinite thing to most of us; we don’t know what we mean when we talk about love. […] the Holy Spirit reveals to me that God loved me not because I was lovable, but because it was His nature to do so. Now He commands me to show the same love to others by saying, “…love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12). He is saying, “I will bring a number of people around you whom you cannot respect, but you must exhibit My love to them, just as I have exhibited it to you.” […] I should look within and remember how wonderfully He has dealt with me. The knowledge that God has loved me beyond all limits will compel me to go into the world to love others in the same way. I may get irritated because I have to live with an unusually difficult person. But just think how disagreeable I have been with God! […] Love is spontaneous, but it has to be maintained through discipline.

{ELGIN} Do you know someone who is difficult for you to love?  It is probably because of their behavior.  If it were up to us, not many people would be saved from an eternity in hell.  We would judge them and condemn them, and that is often times what we do, isn’t it?  The parable of the unforgiving servant (Matthew 18:21-35) comes to mind.  Wanting forgiveness but not willing to give it.  If we don’t see people the way God saw us, then there is not much hope for us ever loving them.  It requires spiritual understanding and an attitude of Grace and Mercy that can only come from the Father.  It is a mistake for you to think that God wants you to love others on your own merit.  (1 John 4:19)  “We love [Agape] because God first loved us.”

It is the love of God that is shown through us, not our personal benevolence shown to the unlovely.  It is the power of God in us that allows us to be and do as God shows us by His Spirit.  Loving others is a result of your relationship with the Father.  (Matthew 22:36-40) “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

No comments: