Thursday, March 12, 2015

You Are Not Just Along For The Ride




Peter began to say to Him, "See, we have left all and followed You." —Mark 10:28

“Our motive for surrender should not be for any personal gain at all. We have become so self-centered that we go to God only for something from Him, and not for God Himself. It is like saying, “No, Lord, I don’t want you; I want myself. But I do want You to clean me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit. […] Genuine total surrender is a personal sovereign preference for Jesus Christ Himself. Where does Jesus Christ figure in when we have a concern about our natural relationships? Most of us will desert Him with this excuse— “Yes, Lord, I heard you call me, but my family needs me and I have my own interests. I just can’t go any further” (see Luke 9:57-62). “Then,” Jesus says, “you ‘cannot be My disciple’ ” (see Luke 14:26-33). True surrender will always go beyond natural devotion.” CHAMBERS
 

Does it matter what happens to you in the service of the Lord?  Many, today, would tell you that being a Christian is really all about you.  What you will get out of the deal.  Health, wealth, happiness … heaven on earth.  It does not take but a moment to see that this is not heaven.  The world we live in is lost … the people are on the wide road headed for hell … When we were in Mississippi after Katrina, a church sent a bus load of older people down to our volunteer camp for a day.  The pastor wanted them to do something .. different and “Christian”.  When I told him that if they got off of the bus, when they got back on they would be dirty … he decided to give them a tour of the devastation instead.  So they looked at the great loss … the destruction from the comfort of their seats.  I went with them to describe what it was they were seeing and then promised myself that I would never do that again.  I was ministering to the people who had lived in those homes.  I knew the sorrow and the pain that the people on the bus did not understand it. But, that is how it is for many Christians.  They don’t mind sitting in the air-conditioning and looking out the window at the devastation that sin has brought … but they do not want to get “dirty”.



Jesus said He did not come to be served but to serve.  (Matthew 20:27-28) The Word tells us He had no place to lay His head. (Luke 9:58)  Bad things happened to the Apostles.  Their mortal lives were very difficult. But their comfort was not their focus .. it was serving Jesus.  That doesn’t mean Jesus is going to have you wander the streets .. but it could … It means that as Job said .”Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him” (Job 13:15)  Don’t be content with just going for a bus ride. ELGIN

1 Peter 4:12-16 “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.  But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.”

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: