Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Give God the glory and tell the story!




“Goodness and purity should never be traits that draw attention to themselves, but should simply be magnets that draw people to Jesus Christ. If my holiness is not drawing others to Him, it is not the right kind of holiness; it is only an influence which awakens undue emotions and evil desires in people and diverts them from heading in the right direction. A person who is a beautiful saint can be a hindrance in leading people to the Lord by presenting only what Christ has done for him, instead of presenting Jesus Christ Himself. Others will be left with this thought— “What a fine person that man is!” That is not being a true “friend of the bridegroom”— I am increasing all the time; He is not. To maintain this friendship and faithfulness to the Bridegroom, we have to be more careful to have the moral and vital relationship to Him above everything else, including obedience. […] Yet most of our life is not spent in trying to be consciously obedient, but in maintaining this relationship— being the “friend of the bridegroom.” Christian work can actually be a means of diverting a person’s focus away from Jesus Christ. Instead of being friends “of the bridegroom,” we may become amateur providences of God to someone else, working against Him while we use His weapons.” CHAMBERS

Some years ago, two men tragically drowned in a lake.  The article in the newspaper ended with the sentence, “They were good, Christian men.”  They were known for their faith and their character was attributed to Jesus.  As I read the article, I thought those words would be a fitting epitaph.  To be remembered as a faithful witness to the One who gave me new life and eternity in heaven.  Our lives must point others to Jesus or we have failed in our primary mission.  Everything we are … came from God.  Let say you happen to be very attractive.  What part did you play in that?  You can exercise and diet.  You can choose the clothes … the style of your hair … but, you did not get to choose where you were born, who your parents were. You had no say in how your body would be formed.  How much intelligence you have.  What abilities you might have.  All of that is from God and is for His purpose and glory.  You should be pointing people to Him.  If they don’t see Jesus in you, then you must give them a reason you do what you do, are what you are.   Don’t take credit for something someone else did. 

Martie used to get frustrated with me because I would not seek recognition for the things that I did at work and even in ministry.  The reason I didn’t  was not false humility.  It was, is, and will be because I don’t deserve the credit … it’s all God … my part is obedience … in order to have an opportunity to obey, I must have a relationship with the One who is directing my steps.  And when people see something good in what I do, I must be quick to point them to the One who saved me … the One who knew me before I was formed in my mother’s womb.  (Jeremiah 1:5) Give God the glory and tell the story!  ELGIN

I Love To Tell The Story

“I love to tell the story of unseen things above, of Jesus and his glory, of Jesus and his love. 
I love to tell the story, because I know 'tis true;     it satisfies my longings as nothing else can do. 
I love to tell the story; 'tis pleasant to repeat what seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet. 
I love to tell the story, for some have never heard the message of salvation from God's own holy Word.
Refrain:
I love to tell the story, 'twill be my theme in glory, to tell the old, old story of Jesus and his love.”

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: