Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Climbing On To Higher Ground




“‘Therefore, having these promises….’ I claim God’s promises for my life and look to their fulfillment, and rightly so, but that shows only the human perspective on them. God’s perspective is that through His promises I will come to recognize His claim of ownership on me. For example, do I realize that my ‘body is the temple of the Holy Spirit,’ or am I condoning some habit in my body which clearly could not withstand the light of God on it? (1 Corinthians 6:19). God formed His Son in me through sanctification, setting me apart from sin and making me holy in His sight (see Galatians 4:19). But I must begin to transform my natural life into spiritual life by obedience to Him. God instructs us even in the smallest details of life. And when He brings you conviction of sin, do not ‘confer with flesh and blood,’ but cleanse yourself from it at once (Galatians 1:16). Keep yourself cleansed in your daily walk. I must cleanse myself from all filthiness in my flesh and my spirit until both are in harmony with the nature of God. Is the mind of my spirit in perfect agreement with the life of the Son of God in me, or am I mentally rebellious and defiant?” CHAMBERS

The difference between encouragement and criticism is the motive behind what is said or written.  Two people can address the exact same issue in my life, but with one, they want to tear me down .. seeing only the bad in me.  The other, they see the potential for good in me and encourage me to take the high road.  Ephesians 4:15 tells us to “speak the truth in love.”  The first person is focused on themselves.  The second person is focused on others.  While the world is quick to condemn .. Christians spur one another on to love and good deeds (Hebrews 10:24).  (At least they are supposed to.)

Be careful that your guilt for falling short in your spiritual life does not remain.  Holding on to guilt is a sure way to quench the Spirit in you.  The first step in cleansing yourself is confession (1 John 1:9)  The second step is repentance.  The third step is being spiritually disciplined. Drawing close to God through prayer, the Word, fellowshipping with other Christians, and regular worship.  It is so easy to be like the man in the mirror (James 1:23).  You read the Bible or perhaps a devotion like this one.  You mentally agree with what you read.  Maybe tell someone else about it. And then, like when you look in the mirror, you turn away and immediately forget what you read or thought. Joshua 1:8 says that we are to meditate on spiritual truth … that word means literally to chew on it .. like a cow chews its cud.  ELGIN


Higher Ground

“I'm pressin' on the upward way, New heights I'm gainin' every day, Still prayin' as I'm onward bound, Lord, plant my feet on higher ground

My heart has no desire to stay, Where doubts arise and fears dismay, Though some may dwell where these abound, My prayer, my aim, is higher ground

I want to scale the utmost heights, And catch a gleam of glory bright, But still, I'll pray 'til Heaven I've found, Lord, lead me on to higher ground

Lord, lift me up and let me stand, By faith on Heaven's table land, A higher plain than I have found, Lord, plant my feet on higher ground”



Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: